microphone or interface problem? please help!

lazyguitar

I'm trying to record some fingerstyle acoustic guitar in stereo with my (only) two microphones, an AT4040 LDC and an Avantone CK-1 SDC. I'm recording through a Steinberg CI1 interface. My problem is that the CK-1 is picking up only a very low signal...unusually so. Even with the input level on the CI1 set to full, it's barely registering the guitar. When I normalise the audio, the sound is far too hissy to be useable. I recorded some claps/clicks within a few inches of the CK-1 and that worked ok - perfectly clear. My worry isn't the clarity, just the low signal. In contrast, the AT4040 is having no trouble picking up the acoustic guitar from 12 inches away. The input level is on the CI1 is set to half and the signal is strong. The CK-1 is about 2 years old and hasn't had much use since I first bought it. I don't recall having these problems though. It certainly wouldn't have been dropped or damaged.

My question is:

Is it normal for LDCs and SDCs to have such a significant difference in sensitivity, and if so, does this mean my CI1 interface is busted or inadequate?

Or, does this strangely low signal suggest that my Avantone CK-1 is broken or damaged?

Or, am I missing something obvious? Any tests or experiments I should consider?

Excuse any misuse of technical terms. While I'm not exactly new to recording, I'm certainly no good at it! Thanks a lot.

Back