Microphone isolation

Isn't it about time your wife visited her mother with the kid? Grandparents always want to play with kiddywinks...

Haha! .. YES! It is about time however, they (the grandparents) are here often - so it's mitigating the whole ability to "visit".

Add your mic'd sound to the sims. Even if its not quite what you're trying to achieve as a single sound.

Another thing to try, and bear with me till you've ACTUALLY tried this....When tracking a supporting guitar section....ie: electric rhythm, stick a mic up pointing at the guitar. put it on its own track. Funny what you'll be able to do with it at mix. Or not use it at all. With track counts in the high 70's plus on a basic DAW whats not to try?

The history of this in my experience came from wanting the sound of the pick strumming an acoustic part. The 'pick' sound came and went partially because of the different attacks and the different responses on the acoustic accordingly. So I went back through and replayed all the acoustic track with a Strat unhooked. Put those together, liked it so much I went back and did the track again with a 335 unhooked and combined that.

Its all about experimenting.

Just record your guitar with a DI and have all of the track perfect and the way you want them. Then be it on a day, a week or two from now, when you have a free and solitude day or afternoon just re-amp all of those tracks then.

Open your hard shell guitar case and stand it up behind your mic...cushion side toward mic. This will help isolate the mic and attenuate the sound leaving the room.

I've had a lot of success with the Tech 21 Blonde. It gives the tone of a cranked amp with zero ambient noise. It also takes pedals well and is a great solution for recording when low volume is desired but without resorting to the thin sound that a tube amp provides when turned way down.

Edit: Whoops, just read through the entire thread instead of just the first page and realized you weren't interested in this direction. My bad.

Back