Microphone help!!!

JBoucks

I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 (FireWire) that has 2 quarter inch ports. It also has a button to turn on an off the 48 volts because I'm guessing that is for phantom power? So I have an MXL v63m microphone that requires an XLR cable, I got a cord at Guitar Center that has an XLR plug on one side, and a quarter inch jack on the other side. But then I read the FAQs booklet from the MXL microphone and it says that that cord won't work and that I need a cord that has on both sides XLR plugs. But on my Focusrite Saffire audio interface, it doesn't have an XLR port.

So if the only way to connect my microphone to my audio interface is with the cable with the XLR plug on one end and quarter inch jack on the other end, and the FAQs says that it won't work (which it really doesn't), then how am I suppose to connect my microphone to my interface?

Those two ports on the front of the unit are combo ports that'll accept either XLR or TRS (1/4" tip/ring/sleve). You'll need phantom power on for your mic

Note that 1/4" plugs come in TRS (tip/ring/sleeve) and TR (tip/ring). You have to look at 'em. TRS should work fine with XLR provided the pinouts are correct.

Those two ports on the front of the unit are combo ports that'll accept either XLR or TRS (1/4" tip/ring/sleve). You'll need phantom power on for your mic

Note that 1/4" plugs come in TRS (tip/ring/sleeve) and TR (tip/ring). You have to look at 'em. TRS should work fine with XLR provided the pinouts are correct.

Holy crap, I'm shitting my pants because of how dumb I am. Thank you so much!!! I didn't even try connecting the XLR cable to the port because I only thought it was only for quarter inch jacks. My lord.

Back