Microphone for recording a classically-trained soprano

ssilverm

I would appreciate some recommendations for a suitable microphone for recording a classically-trained soprano in a small space. (It's approaching audition season, and the opera companies are currently working off home made videos rather than seeing candidates in person.)

She has an extremely powerful and resonant voice, with a wide dynamic range and lots of harmonics. The room is 4.9m x 3.7m with soft furnishings. The microphone can't be in shot, so will be positioned about 2.5m from her. It will be connected to the pre-amp of a Zoom Q8 video recorder.

I've no idea where to begin with this, so all advice is gratefully received.

Steve

The small room is going to make it hard to get good sound, and putting the mic at a distance is going to make it harder. The closer you can get a mic the less effect the room has. Given those challenges, I'd be tempted to try an unusual approach, a boundary mic on the ceiling at about a 45° up from the singer's mouth. But there are certainly other, more conventional, methods. In any case, substantial treatment of the room would help. Really, any decent mic would probably work if you can treat the room's acoustics.

Is the mic in shot the opera companies rule, given to the folk in their self tape instructions? Some are quite sneaky and know exactly how good singers sound in small rooms and they actually want to hear the crude raw sound. If it’s her rule, to make it look good (ironic on a singing self-tape) then maybe try a lav and make it non-obvious. I agree with trying a boundary. Often they are underused and great problem solvers, but I suppose it is what it is. Opera companies are not, as often thought, old fashioned and many have embraced technology when it assists but isnt overt. They do not want to tickle the traditionalists. I tentatively offered one an in ear monitor for a tricky recording job in a big church. In it went, hair done, cable down the back, done! I’d expected resistance and got familiarity? This was not her first time, and it went well.

Last edited:
Back