Microphone for Casio Keyboard mic input: Dynamic of Condenser?

Clarinet

The manual for my Casio 7500 keyboard says you can only use a dynamic mic in its mic input. The Shure SM57 is a great instrument mic, but I understand it generates a tinnier sound if the instrument is further than a couple of feet from the mic. But a condenser mike is better for picking up from a broader area, including room acoustics/ambiance. I'm recording one or more clarinets through the keyboard. I would prefer the features of a condenser mic.

I don't know whether I can only use my Shure SM57 dynamic with this keyboard, or if its possible to use a condenser mic such as the MKL 770 in conjunction with the ART Tube MP Studio Mic Preamp. The cost of each (the dynamic vs. the condenser plus preamp) would be about the same. Do you know if this combination of condenser mic and preamp would work with this keyboard that says only a dynamic mic can be used?

I'm not sure what exactly about this keyboard would not allow a condenser mic and if there are any work-arounds.

Hi,
If the casio keyboard has a microphone level input and expects a dynamic mic, then using a preamp in line is no good because a preamp outputs at line level. That's considerably hotter than the level a mic puts out directly.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't use a phantom power supply inline though.
As far as I know they are powered units that feed phantom power to the mic and output a mic level signal to the next device.

Either that or a battery powered condenser would be fine.

Back