Microphone decisions for upcoming recording session.

stevieg11

I have a bit of a problem deciding what to do in a recording session that's coming up on wednesday. Here's the idea:

I am recording through a tascam us-1800, which has 10 pre-amps. Only recording the drum kit along with a guide track so this is fine.

6 of the inputs are taken up with 2 x OH's, hat mic, 2 x rack toms, 1 floor tom.

Usually I would record overheads with my pair of NT-5's, but have decided to use a pair of NT-1a's since the drummer has one and so do I. This leaves me with the option of using the NT-5's on snare top and bottom which is something I've always wanted to do but never had chance to since they were always taken by OH's.

This would leave me with 2 inputs left to record the kick drum which is decent. But I just cant decide what to do because I've never recorded a kit with small diaphragm condensers on the snare. My options are either:

1. NT5's on snare t & b (this is unknown territory to me, so quite nervous about it) and then 2 inputs left for kick.

2. 57beta and i5 on snare t & b (tried and trusted, but really want to use the nt-5's) and then 2 inputs left for kick.

3. NT5's on snare t & b + 57 beta on snare top (as a safety net), which only leaves one input for kick.

After the first 6 instruments have taken their mics, my options left are shure 57 beta, audix d6, audix i5, beyerdynamic m69, and 2 NT5s.

We have 6 songs to do in around 6-7 hours so every minute is precious, and the live room and tracking room are the same (bed)room, so can't listen at the same time except on some half decent headphones. I don't really want to have to set the mics up, get a decent sound, record, listen back, then switch mics and do the same again to choose as I don't think there'll be enough time.

But this session also includes getting samples, in which stage I plan to use as many mics as possible on each drum to get as many options as possible.

The question.. (finally!)
Are the NT-5's good for snare?
Which of those 3 options would you guys choose?
Looking at the available mics, would you use any other configurations?

Any help will be VERY much appreciated!

Back