Microphone care...or, basically put, is it OK to just leave your Mics set-up in your

BeBop

studio...and not put them away after each use?? I wonder what the Pros say about this. Large diaghram mics especially...does it ruin the diaghram to leave them out, on the stand..all the time??

I ask this because when I want to record.. I want to record, and having to go through the process of taking the mic(s) out, setting them on the stand, repositioning it, plugging it in, getting a level.....can spoil the "inspiration of the moment"

I have 2 C414 TL-11.

Any thoughts??

BeBop

Like any other gear you need to protect it from the environment. So ask yourself the questions. Is it humid? Is it dusty? Is there temperature change? etc...

I was also wondering this

Because I leave my mics setup on my drumset in my studio. When I do my day to day practicing I was wondering if my mics were getting too much wear. I do cover them to prevent dust getting in them.

It's a good idea to cover mics that you leave out to keep the dust out, but other than that it shouldn't hurt them unless it's really humid.

philboyd studge said:
It's a good idea to cover mics that you leave out to keep the dust out, but other than that it shouldn't hurt them unless it's really humid.

Or it's real cold.

Or they get knocked over.

Or people smoke in the room.

Or...

These aren't exactly SM57s he's talking about, either.

Basically, couldn't you just say, "Use your own judgement."? If there is a significant chance of a room getting too hot, too cold, too humid, or too smoky, than put them away. Simple as that.

I don't put them away. But then again, it's hard to kill a 57, ECM8000s are cheap to replace, and my se1000 was free. Plus I don't feel there is a threat. It's pretty much 65 degrees in my studio all year round, and I've had stuff in there that hasn't been moved or touched for nine months since I moved in there and there is no dust.

are you in the middle of a project?

I never move a mic I am using to record with untill I am done with the tracking and had ample time to review.I do record in a steady enviroment though. If I were out in the garage I would leave the stands and Take the mics in. The main thing is that if I want to punch in on a track later ( be it guitar or drums ) I want to have as close to the same sound as possible. Tearing down and setting back up drum or guitar mics might cause angles and distances to change.

F.S.

You can also throw a zip lock bag over the mic, with a silica pack inside, and zip the bag as far as you can, with the mic still connected and on the stand. It protects the mic pretty well from dust and humidity, while leaving your setup intact for any additional tracking sessions later.

These are all great insights, practices and suggestions. I'm gonna go with the zip-lock bag / silica pack idea that Harvey posted. That makes good sense to me.... and of course, this is a "common sense" posting...nobody in their right mind would leave expesive equipment exposed to the elements. I was just curious how other folks dealt with the issue...and THANKS TO ALL.
BeBOP

Back