Microphone cable length - does it matter?

reddavid

As a guitarist, I'm well aware the effects on tone that a cable can have. Longer the cable, the duller the sound becomes. As someone far cleverer than myself once pointed out, an excessively long cable effectively does the same to the guitar's tone as rolling the tone control down to its lowest level. As a man who likes to play his semi set to the bridge and with as much edge as possible, this displeases me.

Anyway, getting onto the subject, does mic cable length really matter? I was under the impression that it did, greatly so, because neither dynamic nor condenser mics induced a terribly strong signal in the first place, something that an excessively long cable, with all the interference and cack it'd pick up plus all the signal it'd naturally lose to capacitance and resistance, would do hideous damage to. But then, I've been scoping around, and Iv'e seen mic cables upwards of 100m in length.

So, what d'you guys reckon - is mic cable length something to be concerned about?

It depends on what it is connected to, but the short answer is no.

A low impedance source, as provided by most microphones, can travel a long way (100m is fine) without degrading significantly. A high impedance source, e.g. most guitars and some microphones, has the problems you describe with capacitance affecting tone, which is why a DI box is used on long cable runs.

Ah, thanks for that. Several puzzles in my music technology life make a lot more sense now - I didn't know about high / low impedance before.

Cheers.

Back