Micron v. Microkorg AND the usefulness?

Zeppelin456

Banana Co
Hi, I've recently been looking for an inexpensive keyboard (oxymoron) to add some flavor to my rock based recordings and I was checking out two synths: the Microkorg and the Alesis Micron....They're simiarly priced and I'm sure people have opinions on what's better, I'd like to hear them!

Also, do you think these types of synths are appropriate for adding flourishes to rock music? I don't need a casio type keyboard, I already have one but I'm looking for something with a little more weight. That said, I'm not into techno or industrial much, will these synths have any use for me?

Thanks,
Julian

Zeppelin456 said:
Also, do you think these types of synths are appropriate for adding flourishes to rock music? Thanks,
Julian

I've owned both, and sold the MicroKorg to get the Alesis Micron. The Micron has 500 presets out of the box -- plenty of leads, pads, basses. I can't imagine you wouldn't find something in there. To me, the sounds are excellent -- in fact they are the same as on the Ion, and any that are from the Ion and not already on the Micron you can download and install.

Playability wise, again, the Micron with the full-size keys has to be a winner. The MicroKorg is great, and is a classic, but really playing small keys isn't easy, and 128 sounds isn't 500 (with room for like 400 more).

The Micron has enormous capability in terms of how it's laid out, effects, menu options, rhythym, arpeggiation. Some say it could use more knobs for navigation, but I think it's actually easier to tweak than the MK was. BUT, the main knob on the Micron is something you want to be careful with. It's a little exposed, and it's totally crucial. You wouldn't want to break it.

The Micron is advertized as having a 40-band vocoder. I think it's awful compared to anything, and certainly compared to the MK's vocoder. Other then that, in my view it's a phenomenal machine. Hard to believe, really.

Exactly!!! The only thing better about the MicroKorg is the vocoder. The Micron's sound is far superior, and for the price it really is a hot little number. But search around, you might be able to pickup the ION used like on Ebay for just a bit more, and it will afford you a ton more realtime control and 61 keys. But if your looking for a small board like the Micron you might want to also look at the Novation X-Station (which is based on the K-Station, and also features a USB audio interface, and will also act as dedicated controller keyboard). I've seen the K-Stations and bigger KS4/KS5 boards selling on EBAY for about what the Micron sells for too.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the ION was 49 keys? That'd be sweet if it was 61...

Zeppelin456 said:
and what kinds of sounds does the micron have? does anybody have more info/suggestions?

The Micron has a rather full sound pallette. You could download the sample on the Alesis site, or go to a shop that has one, or check out the Ion, if that's what they have on the shelf...

If a vocoder is crucial to you, the do not get the Micron. Any other way, it's great.

No. This is not what these synths were designed for. They are designed to be emulations of great analog sounds (Dance basses, synth leads, sweepy pads, etc.). That is not to say you can't get cool sounding emulations of those instruments out of these synths (and you could get real close probably with the organ sounds), but they won't have the "Realism" that most people want of those instruments. If you wan't real instrument sounds you would definitely want something that is sample-based (i.e. Triton, Fantom, Motif, Kurzweil K2600), or a good software sampler.

Atterion said:
No. This is not what these synths were designed for. They are designed to be emulations of great analog sounds (Dance basses, synth leads, sweepy pads, etc.). That is not to say you can't get cool sounding emulations of those instruments out of these synths (and you could get real close probably with the organ sounds), but they won't have the "Realism" that most people want of those instruments. If you wan't real instrument sounds you would definitely want something that is sample-based (i.e. Triton, Fantom, Motif, Kurzweil K2600), or a good software sampler.

I sorta figured...the thing is, there aren't any realistic sounding keyboards under 500 bucks, all I could really find are those junky casio types...

You could probably find a use N-Series Korg or Yamaha S03, or Alesis QS6.2 for under $500 on EBAY (The QS 6.2 only sells for like $600 new anyways). They all have decent sounds, None of them do Spot-On-Perfect recreations of the original instruments, but they all get real close (None of the really expensive boards do either, but they get you bit closer. As far as piano goes, I'd say S03 or QS6.2 in this price range). The N-Korgs have excellent horns and strings, and organs galore.

And I'll wait here 'cause, the "Used Kurzweil Club" will probably chime in too. Hi Guys!!! LOL!!!

Korg N-Series

The Korg N-series is good on everything except realistic piano sounds, they're buzzy and bassy and kinda nasty. The electric pianos and organs are good, though, and it's not too difficult to program.

I have an N264 and an N364 (which I bought used for $425), and they are by far my all-time favorite synths for pads, and freaky alien-scape sounds. I managed to get a good piano sound from them (after years of trying, and with the help of N-Edit pro). If anyone wants a copy of the p/c/g, just PM me. It is as good of a piano as you can probably get out of the N's.

This is true. I wasn't slammin' on "UKC" either. Kurzweil make fine synths. You guys are really diehard passionate about them, the way I love Korg.

Triton Rules!!!
K2600 Drools!!!

I just saw your in Boston Zep. Check out Daddy's Junky Music. That's where I bought mine. Mine actually shipped from the Boston store to Portsmouth. They have like 20 stores. Here is there used gear listings. http://www.daddys.com/content/usedgear/usedgear.shtml

No N's right now but heres a Yamaha S03 for $350 in the boston store
http://www.daddys.com/php/usedgear_detail.php?aproductid=YAM2272

And look an Excellent condition Karma for $650 http://www.daddys.com/php/usedgear_detail.php?aproductid=KOR0633 If you can scrounge up another $150 bucks, do it. That is a steal!!!

Back