Micro-monitors

Richard Monroe

I've been building a microstudio for travel and certain remote applications built around a Zoom H4n and a pocket POD. The SONY ECM-MS957 stero mic is already identified as a keeper. What I'm looking for now is wicked small set of powered speakers. My best bet so far are M-Audio AV20's. Yeah, I know that 2" drivers aren't going to exactly pump out bass, but real small is critiacal here, and extremely expensive is right out. Just thought I'd ask whether anyone has any suggestions I may have overlooked. Any ideas?-Richie

I've been building a microstudio for travel and certain remote applications built around a Zoom H4n and a pocket POD. The SONY ECM-MS957 stero mic is already identified as a keeper. What I'm looking for now is wicked small set of powered speakers. My best bet so far are M-Audio AV20's. Yeah, I know that 2" drivers aren't going to exactly pump out bass, but real small is critiacal here, and extremely expensive is right out. Just thought I'd ask whether anyone has any suggestions I may have overlooked. Any ideas?-Richie

Hey Richard, not so much in the line of mini monitors, but won't they add to your recording if your in the same room? And sometimes you may not get to use them.. say if you were to be recording a classical orchestra for the musicians may definitely hear them and say "no".
If it was me and that's me. I would monitor with phones. Thou monitoring with speakers is the best way to go.
Seams like a catch 22 situation.

:cool:

They're more for playback for a few people than anything else. I don't think I'd try mixing with them. I would always monitor live with cans. It's also just for MP3 playback in a motel room or whatever, where the zoom doubles as a portable stereo. I've actually heard the AV20's used by the instructor of a voicever class with a laptop and an M-box, and they are not that bad for what they are.

Haven't used any of them, Richie, but the Yamaha MSP-3 (4" cone) has received great reviews. Even won Future Music's blind shoot-out for small monitors (5" and under) a couple of years back. I see an even smaller micro version--MS 101III--on Yamaha's site. Might be worth a try.

They're more for playback for a few people than anything else. I don't think I'd try mixing with them. I would always monitor live with cans. It's also just for MP3 playback in a motel room or whatever, where the zoom doubles as a portable stereo. I've actually heard the AV20's used by the instructor of a voicever class with a laptop and an M-box, and they are not that bad for what they are.

I see ....carry on.

:cool:

Back