Micro Firewire Port on Laptops

cawhite12

Hello, I had a couple of questions actually. I'm in the market for a laptop and want to use the Presonus Firepod with it, but every laptop I've seen only has the micro firewire ports on them, not the regular size. I emailed Presonus about this and they said that their product should be fine with an adapter, but I was wondering if anyone else has done this.

Also I was wondering what processor I should be looking at. I've always had Athlon's in my desktops, and was interested in that, but PreSonus told me that they have seen some issues with the new Athlon 64's. But I have seen several posts of people having great luck with the 64's. Any advice on these subjects would be great.

what is a micro firewire port?? i though all firewire was that small little plug in thingy. actually, my dad's ipod came with a 6pin to 4pin firewire adaptor so maybe those are the two different types?
As for the processor, i would say AMD all the way but i have never used AMD in a lap top. a good place to find info on this sort of stuff is www.anandtech.com

i hope you find some answers to you quesiton, post it here if you find anyting out as i would be interested in knowing what the best mobile cpu is these days as well.

cawhite12 said:
Hello, I had a couple of questions actually. I'm in the market for a laptop and want to use the Presonus Firepod with it, but every laptop I've seen only has the micro firewire ports on them, not the regular size. I emailed Presonus about this and they said that their product should be fine with an adapter, but I was wondering if anyone else has done this.

Also I was wondering what processor I should be looking at. I've always had Athlon's in my desktops, and was interested in that, but PreSonus told me that they have seen some issues with the new Athlon 64's. But I have seen several posts of people having great luck with the 64's. Any advice on these subjects would be great.

The difference between the small (4 pin) and the large (6 pin) firewire ports is that if you are using all 6 pin connectors then the computer can provide power to the device. Almost all notebooks have 4 pin connectors, since they already have a limited supply of power to work with anyway. The salesman was just suggesting that you use a wall power adapter to power the Firepod. If you're planning on using a notebook, that's basically your only option.

As to problems with the Athlon 64's, I haven't heard anything about it. If there really is a problem, I'm sure that either Presonus or the motherboard chipset manufacturers will create a fix at some point.

For the guy who asked, here is a picture. The one on the left is the 4 pin connector and the one on the right is the 6 pin. 6 pins are most common on desktop machines, while 4 pins are most common on mobile devices (notebooks, ipods, video cameras, etc...)

Thanks for all the help, that clears up some stuff about the firewire connections. After researching some more, it was very strange that on PreSonus's website, they have a review written by someone that had an Athlon 64 system. It was in a desktop, but still an AMD64 nonetheless, very strange.

With furthur research into what everyone has, it seems like it is split up pretty well between the P4's and the AMD's, with each user swearing by their own equipment, maybe it's a situation where as long as you have your computer configured correctly, either will work well.

Has anyone heard anything about the Compaq laptops, they seem to get good specs for the price, Just wondering

Back