MicPre 150-300$ with warmth?

jkokura said:
For clean and smooth I've liked my DMP3.

Jacob
Not very popular i see, couldn't find many reviews but the ones i did find said it was ver clean! Thanks jacob. More suggestions from anyone?

I wouldn't classify the Rane as "warm" either - But it's a very nice sounding preamp for the money. You really aren't going to find "warm" sounding preamps (as most would describe it) for $300... Not even for considerably more. And don't be fooled into getting some cheesy "toob" preamp that says "Ultra Warmth" on it or something.

If you want a preamp with a little color then check out the joe meek 3q. I pretty much wrote it off as crap and used it just for kick drums, then I did a preamp shoot out and it won on almost every source over my Eureka, dmp3, and digi pre's. It adds good color to guitars, bass, vox, pretty much everything. I do like my dmp3 better as an overhead pre.

check out seventh circle audio...

SCA

I keep on hearing these guys getting good reviews. I don't endorse it because I haven't heard thier pres yet, but one look at the sight and you can see why some people are excited about sub-contractor alternatives. Which honestly, can be just as good as higher commercial pres.

Just depends on what shop you find and what sound you want.

I'm new here, but i'll give this a try.

I think the search for a better preamp is a lost cause, unless paying your rent is dependent on it. From what I've experienced, good mic placement will go multitudes further than a step up in voltage.

Lately I'm looking for that sweet spot. This applies to any preamp/mic combo i.m.o. Its there, you just have to find it. A better preamp won't place your mic in the right spot. Trial-and-error. :)

Eastale said:
Nice good micpre for 150-300$ with warmth, something for hip-hop vocals matched with an Apex 460?
I'll sell you my blue tube for $80.00 and throw in a toaster oven.

I seriously doubt you can beat a ART TPS-II for what you're asking for. It has variable impedance (which I don't think you'll find anywhere in that price range) and also variable valve voicing for tailoring of the tonal charateristics. All around it's got great gain and it's quiet as a church mouse (if you adjust the gain sturctures properly). Nicely built with 2 channels to boot. Cost you about $200

Back