Mick Doobie

Quite possibly this thread is about what anyone makes it out to be.

I knew a kid who got stung by a jellyfish. I doubt he would be a fan of the band.

So, are there good jellyfish.....or bad jellyfish?

That’s the question.

Jellyfish are no fun. The "fish" jellyfish, that is. Here late summer slow moving tidal waters they can take over. Best to stay clear. They say if you get stung you or someone else can piss on it, urine helps the pain. Personally I don't roll like that, but I don't judge. I don't really support banning plastic grocery bags, but people take those onto the beach. Wind blows, bag gets blown into the water, looks amazingly similar to a jellyfish. Well, kind of that same movement. Fish and some marine animals such as sea turtles eat jellyfish, or in the case of a plastic grocery bag, things that look like jellyfish. Turtle eats plastic bag, bag blocks digestive system. Sea Turtles are awesome creatures, cute little bob head, flying through the water. A damn shame. I never take plastic grocery bags onto the beach, and have been seen on occasion running break neck down the beach repeatedly attempting to stomp on a plastic grocery bag before the wind whisks it away and into the water. So far have avoided an "observation" stay.

Jellyfish does seem an odd choice for a band name. There's bound to be some kind of back story. If I run across it I'll be sure to share! :thumbs up:

Another good song and performance by Jellyfish. Definitely in parts some Brian Wilson-The Beach Boys influence. Some interesting lyrics..."how does it feel to be a chalk line dollar sign, the ghost at number one". I'm not sure who the song is referencing in particular, or if so. He does mention "Mrs Lynn". Jeff Lynn, ELO, but he's not dead, a "ghost". He is a producer, and I think the song was before The Beatles Anthology, which Lynn worked on, so the timeline doesn't work for being John Lennon? Profile fits, timeline maybe doesn't. Anyway, a good one, The Ghost at Number One.

Oh man, was just listening. I don't think he says, "how does it feel to be a chalk line dollar sign", as in the chalk outline of a body such as in a crime scene, a murder or whatever. I think he says "black" line. What the hell, he wrote the wrong damn lyric, missed the boat. Sure, in the black works, you're dead but making money, you ghost at number one. I don't know, I still prefer chalk line. In my view it's a cynical look at the phenomenon of being dead but resurrected to the top of the charts. Someone according to the other lyrics who wasn't particularly deserving of adulation prior to kicking the bucket. Am disappoint.

I hate it when that happens. For instance, it's like the song It Makes No Difference by The Band. A lyric goes, "like an empty hall, it's a lonely fall". Hole, dummy. Like an empty hole, it's a lonely fall. It doesn't have to rhyme, hole and fall are close enough, and hole makes more sense and is more expressive of the tragic space and sense of isolation and sorrow of the narrator.

Let's just call the whole damn thing off. Just call it off.

Oh man, was just listening. I don't think he says, "how does it feel to be a chalk line dollar sign", as in the chalk outline of a body such as in a crime scene, a murder or whatever. I think he says "black" line. What the hell, he wrote the wrong damn lyric, missed the boat. Sure, in the black works, you're dead but making money, you ghost at number one. I don't know, I still prefer chalk line. In my view it's a cynical look at the phenomenon of being dead but resurrected to the top of the charts. Someone according to the other lyrics who wasn't particularly deserving of adulation prior to kicking the bucket. Am disappoint.

I hate it when that happens. For instance, it's like the song It Makes No Difference by The Band. A lyric goes, "like an empty hall, it's a lonely fall". Hole, dummy. Like an empty hole, it's a lonely fall. It doesn't have to rhyme, hole and fall are close enough, and hole makes more sense and is more expressive of the tragic space and sense of isolation and sorrow of the narrator.

Let's just call the whole damn thing off. Just call it off.
He DOES say chalk line, dollar sign.

Ugly apparition, God's gift to oxygen
The puffed up immortal son
How they love him 'cause he'll become
The ghost at number one
How does it feel
To be the only one?
How does it feel
To be the only one that knows that you're right?
How does it feel
To be a loaded gun?
How does it feel
Inside a chamber packed with piss and spite?
Sure life's no cherry but a cupcake for the meek (shoot up bop bop)
So he shoots up his poison until the frosting tastes so sweet (like a valentine)
Yeah he's givin' it all he's got the king of rebels hit the jackpot
But his finish line was an artistic flop
Yet even the critics can't outrun
The ghost at number one
How does it feel
To be the only one?
How does it feel
How does it feel
To be a chalkline dollar sign
How does it feel
Up at the address all the widows write?
Mrs. Lynn the fruit of your labor
Gives us a savior, nappy superstar
To you we bid congratulations, to him adulation
A blessed life begun, for the ghost at number one
How does it feel
To be the only one?
How does it feel
How does it feel
To be a visionary poet
How does it feel
To pack a pen with vinegar and insight
How does it feel
To be the only one?
How does it feel
How does it feel
To be a so deep down underground?
How does it feel
To be the only one who knows you've been buried alive?
Gives us a savior
Gives us a savior

Andy Sturmer (Jellyfish singer/drummer) is still doing well in the music business.
Seems like he was fed up with trying to make it as an artist/band.

And Roger Joseph Manning jr is still doing great in the music business. Listen to Beck's Midnight Vultures. RJMJ is ALL OVER that record. And still tours with Beck and others. And is still releasing new music. Follow him on insta. Dude is cool as shit.

And if you haven't heard Moog Cookbook, which is old but still cool, check this out.

^^ Maybe that would be a good subject for a thread. Missed opportunity where the writer of a lyric got it wrong, missed the boat, missed it by this {>l<} much.

I guess I got it started, but grim would be better at starting/keeping such a thread alive. Intelligent guy, encyclopedia like knowledge.

The song mentioned, It Makes No Difference, by The Band, I love the lyric "Stampeding cattle, they rattle the walls". Great lyric, Rick Danko delivers it so well.

^^ Maybe that would be a good subject for a thread. Missed opportunity where the writer of a lyric got it wrong, missed the boat, missed it by this {>l<} much.

I guess I got it started, but grim would be better at starting/keeping such a thread alive. Intelligent guy, encyclopedia like knowledge.

The song mentioned, It Makes No Difference, by The Band, I love the lyric "Stampeding cattle, they rattle the walls". Great lyric, Rick Danko delivers it so well.
Ah, the Band. With a drum playing front man. Sitting down even. It comes full circle.

^^ Besides, Levon wasn't the "front man". That would be Robby, just ask him. Well, you know, if you could, that ghost at number one.

Only one left is Garth. Odd. Seemingly the oldest from the beginning, the adult in the room.

^^ Besides, Levon wasn't the "front man". That would be Robby, just ask him. Well, you know, if you could, that ghost at number one.

Only one left is Garth. Odd. Seemingly the oldest from the beginning, the adult in the room.
That was Levon's band and I don't care what anyone says about that. lol

I don't mean to be hard on Robbie. I like Robbie, his time with The Band, that one solo album way back when, the one with Broken Arrow, Showdown at Big Sky, etc. It's good album, I enjoyed it. Not taking anything away from him, it's obvious Robbie learned a lot about songwriting those years with Dylan, and failed to give recognition, songwriting credit to Levon. At least that was what Levon had hinted at. Too much of a southern gentleman to cause a fuss. Certainly he was an inspiration, Levon, the only southerner among the rest Canadians(not that there's anything wrong with that!). For some, mistakenly in my opinion, the guy. The Band did not have a the guy, there was no frontman. In a sense that was part of the beauty of it, the draw. An everyman's band, a bit more raw and seemingly less rehearsed, less contrived. To use a phrase too often overused these days, organic. But it wasn't Levon's band, anybody who would believe/say such doesn't know what they're talking about, maybe actually knows little about The Band. Levon's band? Hell, Robbie Robertson wrote the majority of the songs. But if we really want to get down to brass tacks, the only time it was accurately called anyone's band was when it was Bob Dylan's band, The Band. Well, maybe before that Ronnie Hawkins band, The Hawks. But that was a million years & miles ago from post Dylan.

I don't mean to be hard on Robbie. I like Robbie, his time with The Band, that one solo album way back when, the one with Broken Arrow, Showdown at Big Sky, etc. It's good album, I enjoyed it. Not taking anything away from him, it's obvious Robbie learned a lot about songwriting those years with Dylan, and failed to give recognition, songwriting credit to Levon. At least that was what Levon had hinted at. Too much of a southern gentleman to cause a fuss. Certainly he was an inspiration, Levon, the only southerner among the rest Canadians(not that there's anything wrong with that!). For some, mistakenly in my opinion, the guy. The Band did not have a the guy, there was no frontman. In a sense that was part of the beauty of it, the draw. An everyman's band, a bit more raw and seemingly less rehearsed, less contrived. To use a phrase too often overused these days, organic. But it wasn't Levon's band, anybody who would believe/say such doesn't know what they're talking about, maybe actually knows little about The Band. Levon's band? Hell, Robbie Robertson wrote the majority of the songs. But if we really want to get down to brass tacks, the only time it was accurately called anyone's band was when it was Bob Dylan's band, The Band. Well, maybe before that Ronnie Hawkins band, The Hawks. But that was a million years & miles ago from post Dylan.
I like Levon more than the rest of them. It was an opinion piece. Hence the 'LOL'.

The pinaccle of live music, again, IMO, was the Last Waltz. Every contributor was special in their own right. I'm just a Levon fanboy.

Yeah, Levon was a likable guy. I think at the time he didn't want to fuss too much about it, writing credits. Later regretted it. I don't blame him and can understand on both accounts. Robbie was a trip, good story teller, white lies, tall tales. Somebody mentioned The Last Waltz, when Robbie starts telling stories of the good old days of a struggling, traveling band, you can see some of the other guys go facepalm. Could be for various reasons, could be true, could be because if not a complete fabrication a bit of an exaggeration. Could be as can sometimes happen things get a bit fuzzy over time, or at the time, mixed up, or you take a little bit of this story and you mix it with a little bit of that story, throw in a one armed hooker for good measure, the story becomes interesting and worth telling.

We should all be so fortunate. :-)

I once dated a go go dancer, she was new to the game. I drove a VW Beetle, before you know it she was driving a Vette. lol, it didn't last, "us". Besides, things got a bit, ahem, crowded.

That's all I got. *shrug*

I once dated a go go dancer, she was new to the game. I drove a VW Beetle, before you know it she was driving a Vette. lol, it didn't last, "us". Besides, things got a bit, ahem, crowded.

That's all I got. *shrug*
See, now if you had ‘embellished’ it a bit it could have been a great story :D

Back