Micing up a PA and the room it's in.....

asi9

I suddenly came across a thought to add more beef to drum tracks (actually, I read it somewhere).... I have a friend that works sound at a club that has a good PA. I was thinking about running a dry mix of the drums through the system and micing the room/PA then mixing those tracks in with the originals to add more beef/life to the drums. Of course, I've never done anything like this, and setting up the chance to do something like this again would be a pain, so trial an error would have to be minimal. What would I need to do to capture the sound of the drums echoing through a room after blasting through a badass PA? Put large diaphragms in the middle? The back of the room? What about standing waves and things like that? Plus, would it be better to have one mic on one side of the PA and one mic on the other so I can later pan them for a sterio sense of air? What kind of phasing problems would I run into? What's the airspeed velocity of a swallow?

That's going to feedback I think. Why? If you are micing a pa/room in which the drums are being sent to the pa, the mic you used to pick up the pa will intern pick up the signal in which it miced causing it feedback. Does that make scence?

Back