Micing Resonoators

DreadfulJake

I'm having some trouble micing my dobro resonator for recording. I was wondering if anybody had any knowledge of what to do?

What kind of mic are you using it and where are you placing it?

And what kind of environment are you recording in (small bedroom, living room, etc.)?

Also, posting a clip somewhere that we can hear it would also help (a lot).

I use a small diaphragm condenser like a Shure SM81 or an AT-4041 aimed at the treble screen for my '30s Regal, which has a fairly mellow sound. If I want to minimize the treble, as when recording my clangy '84 Dobro, I might use a dynamic.

It depends on how big the room is, too (among other things). I have sat with my reso and gone through my arsenal of mics a couple of times, doing A/B (and C/D/E!) recordings to figure out what sounded best.

If you don't need to close mic, a large diaphragm condenser's fine, too, but again it depends on the room. I'm an old electric player, and I don't like a lot of air around the guitar, so it sounds dryer, and I often play ensemble, so I use a closer rather than farther mic placement.

i havent tried sm57's yet, I have been using MXL 990. the room is a bit larger, with low ceilings. There is a small section of the room that is under a staircase that I have turned ito somewhat of a vocal booth, would that be better?

I'd use the SM58 (or other dynamic). I think you'll get a mushy sound using the condenser due to reflections in the confined space.

Back