Micing Drums

Musicman002

Hey,
Any ideas on micing a drum kit with 3 mics...Placement, type of mics, ect.

My studio has DW DRUMS 6 piece kit with Zildjian, and Sabian Cymbols. with a pearl maple snare. cymbols are a custom A 17" crash, 6 inch splash, 20 inch sabian ride, mastersound hats, and a zildjian china.

XY pattern, with one on the Bass Drum.
Two overhead mics at a V angle with a D112 or something like it on the Kick.
I think it works the best for getting everything.
Make sure you watch out on the cross phasing. Listen to the cymbals so they have a steady wash, not a in and out sound.There's a better term for this I just dont know what it's called. :D

Whats your budget?
500?
Kick D112 - 200
M201 - 177
OH V67G -100

1700?
Earthworks DrumKit System (needs a good room tho)

my mic list that i currenly own

My mics are

shure sm57
Senheiser e835
AKG C2000B
Shure 4 something its old..but sounds good for drums(its a dynamic...

where should i place these on my kit....to get a decent sound..for a demo...

AKG C2000B - overhead - placed over the kit and can be moved and aimed to get more toms and snare or more cymbals, although you can aim the mic to pick up more of a certain sound this mic should pick up the sound of the whole kit. Starting place - 6 feet high over the toms pointed more or less down.

Sm 57 - snare - placed 2" above head pointed twards center, adjust to taste.

E835 - kick - can go in front or by the beater, start (if there drum is ported) just inside the kick, place to taste.

Hope that helps

Oh yea use your best pre-amp on the overhead.

is there a particular sound your after? Mic choice and placement will vary depending on wether your recording rock, jazz etc. throw us a ball park idea of a drum sound your aiming to achieve. Is it Lars from the Black album or Ringo at Abbey Rd?

Back