Mikeeley

i have the fallowing:
SHURE SM57s (snair, and toms)
AKG D112 (bass drum)
AKG C1000 (overhead)
AKG C3000 (overhead)

MACKIE 1642-VLZ PRO (mixer)
FOSTEX (digital recorded)

okay my question would be... how do you set the mics up? really close? far off? (ive heard you put the sm57s like face on the drums and it sounds really nice... also where should i posision the overheads? and the bass drum really doesnt sound very good... any suggestions

(btw im looking for a coheed and cambria type sound)

thanks a lot, mike.

Mikeeley said:

(btw im looking for a coheed and cambria type sound)

which coheed cd? The drums on the new one sound like shit compared to their first cd on equal vision.

Re: Re: micing drums

fenix said:
which coheed cd? The drums on the new one sound like shit compared to their first cd on equal vision.

The new CD is still on Equal Vision.

Also... The Second Stage Turbine Blade has a different tone for jsut about every song. Especially the snare as it's really prominent.

Mikeeley-

The best sounding drums on second stage turbine were the drums from the session of track 2 (and a couple other tracks on the cd) on the cd. I'm not sure what kind of kit they used, but it reeks of DW. I may be a DW, I'm not sure. To me, it sounds like a DW with clear heads on the toms but they could be coated. The kick is awesome on that cd. It reminds me of the kick on "around the fur" cd by deftones. I think well tuned drums and good overhead placement and maybe even a room mic or two were key to the recording of this kit. The snare has a nice reverb on it as well. Probably a quick plate reverb.

Back