Micing and recording percussions

Almiro

Hi all,

I have problems to record loud percussions (type surdo which is a bass drum, tamborims, etc...): when I mic the drum farther the sound is not tight enough, and I get a lot of ambient noise (especially the bass drum, and the tamborim) , and the sound looses texture when I mic closer to the drum. For those who are not familiar with these percussions, the surdo has a sound similar to the bassdrum of the TR808, and the tamborim is a small hand drum played with a stick with a very loud, piercing sound. I use an AKG D112 and AKG C1000 plugged directly in a mackie 140...which ouputs go into a beringher compressor. I record onto a VS1824. I would appreciate your suggestions.
Thanks.
Almiro

Almiro,
sounds like your room is too live for percusive instruments. I would try hanging a couple of blankets, heavy drapes, or anything absorptive. Place the mic (C1000) on a boom abount 6-7ft high angeled down (experiment with the distance) if it is too close you will get too much sonic variation when you move (tambourine), and if you are too far you will get more ambience. Personally I like to cut my perc with a touch..just a touch of ambience.

Hi Almiro!

Are you recording Samba? Samba reggae?

Why don't you try an unusual stereo pair? The 112 pointed at the surdo of course... the C1000 to the tamborim...

Try deleting the compressor from the equation for now...don't kill the dynamics of your percussion, specially if you are recording such percussive music styles... the compressor can be guilty for that extra ambient noise you mentioned.

Place the mics a little far but not too much...try placing them off axis...or from above...or from underneath...

Peace...

PC

Thanks for your help. I'll try without the compressor and the combinations you suggested. I think the main problem I have is that I am too eager to just record my music, without bothering with the technical aspects of recording. To answer your question, Powercouple, I record mainly traditional? samba, and MPB. My main instrument is the guitar, but since I recently came to the U.S., I did not yet meet good percussionists....so I do everything myself.
Also, I don't have a surdo but a Tantan (or rebolo), I said surdo bc it is similar and more familiar an instrument to those who are not into music from Brasil.
Thanks.
Abs.

Almiro,
I double the advice of trying to dampen the room a bit, so you can get some distance to the instruments and still not have too much ambience.

Also, the mics you mention aren't exactly my favorites. The D112 has a very apparent EQ that I think make all bass drums recorded with it sound precisely the same. And the C1000 has a shrill quality that may or may not work on a tamborim.

Cheers
/Henrik

Oi Almiro!

Bem vindo ao nosso forum. Espero que você ache respostas a todas suas perguntas aqui.

MC (que ainda está aprendendo o português)

Back