Micing acoustic guitar!!!

SillySillyStacy

Hi all!!!
I have a "not top of the line acoustic/elec"
I like the way it sounds when I just play it. I plugged it into the mixer and you dont hear the E, A, D strings as much as you do the other 3 strings.
I have tried to adjust but it just doesnt get enough gain of the 3 strings I mentioned.
Soooooooooooo I guess I should try recording it with a mic instead (or both and mix the tracks?)
I have some drum mics (atm 25 atm 63 sure sm57)
I have a condenser mic as well MXL 990

What might get me the best sound. I guess I would even settle for full sound. I am not ready to replace my guitar but I do want to be able to get decent recorded/live sound.
Any idea's???
Thanks as always......

Stacy

Right now I record both DI and mic at the same time with my elec/acc guitars. Every setup is different. For example, I really like the electronics in my Ovation, but my Fender is just ok. For me, doing both at the same time gives me a pretty full sound. You'll probably want to use your 990.

Now that you have two tracks (DI and mic), you can start playing around with panning and levels of each.

Post a clip.

I would try the MXL 990, 1-2 feet in front of the guitar, lined up with the 12th fret.

Start by angling it toward the soundhole. If it's too boomy, angle it back towards the headstock. Play with all positions in between to find the best sound for your guitar.

Also play with moving the mic closer and further away from the guitar. This will affect the amount of "room sound" you get.

Also play with your position in the room.

As you can tell, there are a lot of variables. Your playing style, with your guitar, in your room, will take your own special micing technique to make it sound just right.

I also would try the MXL 990 first. But I prefer to start by placing it 6" - 12" out from the neck joint.

Also, for stereo, you should achieve a nice sound by placing the 990 12" out from the 12th fret and the SM57 placed 6" out from the bout (behind the bridge). That config has worked well for me in the past.

Back