Micing a grand in less than perfect conditions.

TaxMan88

I'll probably need help from the pros on this one, but if ANYONE can help, I'd be much obliged. ;)

I've taken an entire week off of work to record and now it's time to get serious. I'm going to be recording 11 original tracks of which 9 are piano driven. I have a 6' Baldwin grand (should be beautiful right?) IT'S IN MY LIVING ROOM!!! I'm going to be recording the piano using [(mostly) an x-y configuration] running 2 MXL 603s's into Soundcraft UltraMic Pres into my DPS16.

I did a test run the other night, and here's the problem. The mics sound great BUT they're so sensitive that they're picking up all of the hammer movement (clunks and what not). Ok, easy solution, right? Mic from a little farther. Ok no probs. Works ok. HOWEVER, my living room is a very large, very open space. (About 30 ft tall and about the same distance wide) I'm getting a very muddy tone now. I can't hang blankets or create a booth of any sort due to the height of the ceiling. GRRRRRRRR . . . cathedral ceilings be damned!! Can someone help me in any way? Suggestions, different mic placements, ANYTHING??

If you're going to suggest alternate mic positions, please keep in mind that I'd like to get a pretty full sound on tape from this instrument (my songs are written that way :D )

I hope SOMEONE can help me on this one, and SOON if possible. I'm running short on time and I'll be pretty damned pissed if I took a whole week off work for nothing. lol

Thanks a million!!
--Tax :D

Here's a very off the wall suggestion.

There was a big cement concert hall that had horrible slapback echoes. Tina Turner was playing there and they filled up a bunch of balloons and hung them in the back to kill the echoes.

I guess you could get a helium tank and balloons and fill the ceiling with those.

Gaffa my friend . . . GAFFA!

lol Gaffer's tape wouldn't leave any marks on the lid of the piano.

I've heard this solution multiple times, too. HOWEVER, how am I to get my hands on 2 PZM mics in three days?? Keep in mind that I have NO MONEY TO BUY ANY! lol

Thanks for the suggestion though. Any more help would be appreciated.

--Tax :D

I have a similar situation.... 6'1 Kawai in a very open living room. I typically mike my piano with two mikes about 12 to 18 inches higher than the body of the piano and tilted slightly down. I position them about 2-3 feet from the body of the piano. One is positioned at the "bottom" of the piano, basically facing the player, so it catches the bass well, and the other is to the side where the curve starts to widen. Miking and sounds are personal preference, but I have not liked the sounds of pzm mikes and prefer the open quality of miking from 2-3 feet away.... I play mostly light jazz, "standards" and some classical.

Hope it works out. Take care

Back