micing a drumset w/ 4 inputs

mooringp

Hi,

I've got a drumset I want to mic for recording it has 3 toms, one kick drum, a ride, a high-hat and two symbals a splash and a crash. My soundcard only has 4 inputs all with built-in mic preamps. My question is what's the best way to mic this set with only for inputs and 5 drums + cymbals to mic?

I would go for a kick mic, a snare one and than a careful position of two overheads, who can capture cymbals and toms.

there was some discussion about this a while back. people suggest the "recorderman technique" --(i think that is what it is called). search this forum, i figure.

Well, if it's jazz then stereo overheads and a kick mic might work well. If it's rock, then I agree with the kick / snare / stereo overheads suggestion.

War

Just to continue with "variations on the same theme" here, I would approach it like this:
Use a pair of identical(model) condenser mics (factory matched would be nice-but not strictly necessary) as overheads, trying various positions/techniques (XY, ORTF, MS, spaced pair etc.) until you get the best possible 'sonic picture' of how the kit sounds in the room. Pay close attention to the balance, and when you've got it as good as you think you can get, add another mic to the element that needs the most support (i.e. whatever the "weak spot" in your stereo picture is - probably the kick). Listen again, and if you think you need a snare mic, add it - or if the snare's OK and the floor tom's washed out, put a mic on the floor tom. The idea is to mic the kit with the overheads, and only add more mics to the picture if they're REALLY needed - like if you anticipate needing special processing on any particular drum (gated snare anyone?, kick triggering 50hz sinewave?)

Warhead said:
Well, if it's jazz then stereo overheads and a kick mic might work well. If it's rock, then I agree with the kick / snare / stereo overheads suggestion.

How big is the difference in sound for these techniques. I'm asking because I want to record some songs that are a cross between the two (song structures similar to jazz using jazz chord progressions played on insturments used mostly in rock w/ rock vocals), and I'm wondering which would suit the sound I'm looking for better.

It is all about the player. If the drummer is good, it is easy. One or two overheads, maybe a kick mic, maybe a snare mic (if you need them, LISTEN to decide). If your drummer sucks, you are flat out screewed, even if you have 200 inputs.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back