micin cymbals

hitman

has anyone ever seen and engineer mic each and every cymbal? I just did. There must have been four re-20's up there plus two pzm's on a big ass boom stand.
Is this a common technique?

hmm

The term 'less is more' is DEFINITELY true in some cases..

If you learn anything about mic technique, using as few microphones as needed is probably something to rememeber..unless you're trying to get an effect, or do stereo, etc..or you NEED each and every thing isolated and manipulatable<real word?>...mic'ing every cymbal sounds kinda like mic'ing every tube in an orchestral chimes/tubular bells.

--Sal

i'm an advocate to the 3 mic techinque in recording a kit (see Rodan or the Rachels on quarterstick records)... requires little or no digital tweaking and is natural... thus making it easier to work with.

A pair of overheads in XY or 3-ft parallel formation, plus individual mics on kick/snr/toms is pretty common.

More than that poses more problems than anything else any sonic advantage gained by getting close with the cymbals!

Bruce

I read about but haven't yet tried...

...a two mic technique where you mount a PMZ on a 4x4 foot piece of plywood and hang it from the ceiling a foot or two behind the drummers head (so it hangs vertically like a door with the mic out front).

The other mic goes on the kick.

Can't wait to try this one...

Back