Mic'd Amp vs. DI?

BigMuffinMan

I just recently got a mic and have started using it on my guitar amp instead of just recording DI.

The thing is I can't play my amp very loud where I am so my question is:

1. Should mic'ing an amp sound alot better vs. DI? (at ideal recording volumes, I assume it does)

2. Will mic'ing a quiet amp still be better than DI?

I will say that I have noticed for clean sounds the mic sounds much better, but Im asking because for distorted/fuzz sounds (just bought a Fuzz Factory too) I cant really seem to tell much of a difference.

Are my ears just green or is the quietness of my amp reducing the quality of the sound?

Oh, and Im using a Vox AC15 and an sm57.

Oh I should probably add... Im not using any kind of amp simulator, just sound straight out of my pedals.

Last edited:
Without hearing what your stuff sounds like...it's hard to comment on the tone quality....but if you mean going with the guitar just DI (no amp involved) straight into your recording interface than yeah, a guitar into an amp, miked is going to sound much better most if the time.
Or...are you taking some kind of Line Out from the amp and going DI...?...which at least gives you a good deal of the amp's tone, minus the cab/speaker.

AFA loudness...not sure how soft you have to play, but that's not a very loud amp, so I'm not sure how loud is too loud at your place???
Put the amp in your closet (leave the clothes in there) with the mic...close the door...jam away.
That will let you crank it up some without annoying anyone.

Miroslav's closet idea is great.

I think you are saying, you use guitar to pedals to DI into your computer. At low volumes or with headphones, that is probably going to get you better sound than a low level amp with a mic.

The sweet spot for most amps is loud, and that's what you are trying to capture with a mic.

If you really can't do the closet thing, I would consider some of the amp sims. They have really come a long way. Personally love Amplitude 3!

If you play clean (country, or jazz, for instance) you can do fine with a solid-state amp, at even lower volumes. If you want some distortion, POWER tube overdrive is the tone everybody wants, and there is only one way to get it- USE AN AMP THAT HAS AT LEAST TUBES ON THE POWER-AMP SIDE (as opposed to the pre-amp side) AND DRIVE THEM HARD.

A DI box skips the power tubes, so there you go- you gotta mic the amp. I love Moro's closet idea (and don't listen to stupid jokes about "coming out" from your friends.) If you have $200 or so to spend, shop around for a 5-watt tube amp. You can also use a TRUE attenuator, not that POS some yahoo is selling via FEEbay, that plugs in to the effects loop- a true attenuator is wired/plugged in between the power amp side and the speaker(s). This device lets you "choke" or "brake" the power tubes to get them working hard. Sorta like driving down the road with your foot on the brake and the gas- produces heat, but the engine is working hard and sounds sweet.

To oversimplify:

DI with amp sims is the easiest way to get good guitar sounds.

Recording a nice tube amp is a harder way to get better guitar sounds.

If you've got more than one channel of input on your interface (which I'd imagine you do), try recording both the DI and mic signal at the same time and do some blending in the mix.

Yeah, If you like a super boxy sound....

No...not at all...you just add the ambience during mixdown....and besides, when close-miking (like most guys tend to do), the room doesn't figure in all that much anyway.

I don't need to use a closet since I have my studio space...but I'll often build a tent over the amp/mic because I WANT to remove the room from the equation and add the ambience later....and, I don't like to close-mic all the time, so with the mic away from the cab, it WOULD pick up the room, especially when using something like a ribbon-mic with figure-8 pattern.

Actually...the tent approach also does a great job of cutting down some of the amp's volume so it's not bleeding out into the studio (or annoying people outside).

This is my typical tent setup:

AmpTent01.jpg

AmpTent02.jpg

AmpTent03.jpg

my experience, is that after recording for 30 years, this device is wonderful, gives me kick ass guitar tracks.

that said, i still prefer micing cabinets, and do so, everytime i have the option.

Back