Mic Tube swap but noise...is this common?

I'm glad the WD40 worked for you, BUT.......

It was never intended for electronic components. It is a lubricant for moving mechanical parts, and it happens to be conductive.

I would strongly urge you to only use DeOxit (or some type of deox clone) on electronics from now on. :cool:

soundchaser59 said:
I'm glad the WD40 worked for you, BUT.......

It was never intended for electronic components. It is a lubricant for moving mechanical parts, and it happens to be conductive.

I would strongly urge you to only use DeOxit (or some type of deox clone) on electronics from now on. :cool:
I agree. WD-40 is a mixture of Stoddard Solvent, Silicone, and Coconut oil. Stoddard solvent wouldn't bother me all that much but silicone and coconut oil aren't good for electronics.

Micter said:
I agree. WD-40 is a mixture of Stoddard Solvent, Silicone, and Coconut oil. Stoddard solvent wouldn't bother me all that much but silicone and coconut oil aren't good for electronics.

...although I agree with your recommendation, in a fix we've used WD in our S.FL based pro studio (oxidation can be a real pain here in Florida) for years just to clean contacts, rca plugs, 1/4" plugs, etc. (wiping the contact thoroughly dry after applying a small amount of WD with a paper towel) without any negative experiences...it's usually readily available, and that makes it a "lifesaver" at times...DeOxit is specifically manufactured for such applications...

PS...I've spent plenty of time in many of the pro studios in Jamaica, W.I. and if you saw some of the tricks used by the engineers down there to patch up some serious high-end vintage recording gear you'd really cringe...but you do what ya gotta do when the musical vibes are flowing!... ;)

don't use wd40 on tube pins in a microphone. Anthing that hold dust etc can form a leakage path and cause noise. I will clean a tubes base and pins with distilled water a few times and let it dry.

Next always let a tube run a few hours if it has not been used for sometime. Let the oxides cook.

WD40 is best for door hinges and rusted locks.

On steak and chicken it makes them come off the grill easier, like hamburgers and vienna sausages, but it makes them juicy and tastes like a tailpipe!

Ok. Not good for cooking OR electronics.

Use contact cleaner! Much better flavor.

kidvybes said:
...although I agree with your recommendation, in a fix we've used WD in our S.FL based pro studio (oxidation can be a real pain here in Florida) for years just to clean contacts, rca plugs, 1/4" plugs, etc. (wiping the contact thoroughly dry after applying a small amount of WD with a paper towel) without any negative experiences...it's usually readily available, and that makes it a "lifesaver" at times...DeOxit is specifically manufactured for such applications...

PS...I've spent plenty of time in many of the pro studios in Jamaica, W.I. and if you saw some of the tricks used by the engineers down there to patch up some serious high-end vintage recording gear you'd really cringe...but you do what ya gotta do when the musical vibes are flowing!... ;)
I'm sure I would cringe!

Back