Mic to complent an AKG C414-XLR?

amra

I think I already have one, one of the older Studio Projects B1's. It is kind of a brighter mic, where the C414 XLR is darker. But is there something better out there that compliments the 414, as in provide an alternative when the 414 is too dark?

Thanks
A.

for vocals?

I've got the C414B-ULS, and I wish I had... a good room to go with it. I'm finding that it's truly a very good "all purpose" room mic, and it would be nice to have a stereo pair. It's not going to be my first choice for vocals, usually, I don't think. It's fantastic for getting cool sound effects (like the rain coming down, etc.), and for difficult situations -- my 16 month old collaborator is now playing harmonica, but won't stand still, and so I just put the B-ULS in her general proximity, and find that with a little gain automation, the mic has done a supernaturally consistent job of picking up the sound of the harmonica, no matter the direction she was facing or her distance from the mic.

More info regarding the application for the new mic would help -- also, it's not too late to get in on the group buy - the ACM-6802T might be a good choice for vocals - it was a little brighter than my C414 (mine is currently undergoing heavy mods), and the price is right - you just have to wait for a while to get it. Also for vocals, I use a Joly-modded Oktava MK319 (when the dirty power in my house decides to be quiet for a few minutes), but it's not really any brighter than the C414. I also have a me-modified MK319 which is a little brighter. And the often recommended Shure SM7b, too. There are undoubtedly many other good choices, many of them above my pay grade.

Thanks for the reply, I did mean mainly for vocals, but also for all around project studio work - acoustic guitar, the occasional guitar cab, that sort of thing.

I have a mess of SM57s for all the things that '57s are good for, and some Joemeek SDC's that i really like as overheads, and of course the B1. I was thinking of maybe a KSM32 or something along those lines as an alternative to the 414 - something that is strong where the 414 is weak, or vice versa, for those SDC type chores mentioned above.

Last edited:
If you can afford it, Shure SM7 is a really nice addition to any locker. I've never had someone sound bad (there have been many other mics chosen that sounded better on some voices) on anyone.

Back