Mic the amp or plug into the board?

RoobaDoo

I have an Ibanez electric going into a Digitech effects pedal. Should I output into my amp (Marshall 15 watt, but great sound) and mic it, or output directly into my mixer? I am just worried that if I go straight into the mixer the track won't have enough 'balls', and if I go through the amp, it'll sound like I'm playing through a 15 watt amp (which I am). I've never mic'd an amp before, so if that's the best way, I could use a couple pointers.

In my opinion, a mic'd up 15 watt amp cranked right up loud will always sound more ballsy than a massive 10,000,000 watt amp at a "normal" volume if you see what I mean.

Does the Digitech pedal have amp and speaker models? If so, you might be able to get a really good sound by just plugging into the board.. if not, maybe try something like a POD, they're pretty good. :)

RoobaDoo said:
I have an Ibanez electric going into a Digitech effects pedal. Should I output into my amp (Marshall 15 watt, but great sound) and mic it, or output directly into my mixer? I am just worried that if I go straight into the mixer the track won't have enough 'balls', and if I go through the amp, it'll sound like I'm playing through a 15 watt amp (which I am). I've never mic'd an amp before, so if that's the best way, I could use a couple pointers.

Mic the amp if you want the sound to be dynamic and have some life. Straight to the board usually sounds like crap, in my experience. Experiment with mic placement for best results. You'll learn alot more by experimenting than you would if we just tell you our personal preferences for micing. Try different distances from the speaker, angle, etc. Don't be afraid to experiment. Mic the back of the amp, the side, etc. Even get goofy with it. Record it all while taking notes and you will have a good reference for getting different sounds. Change amp settings, position of the amp in the room, etc..............experiment!

It does have amp and speaker modeling, but after your comment and Travis' post, I think I will mic it up. You got me all excited about seeing what I might come up with. That's why this forum kicks balls. :eek: Thanks guys!

Back