Mic Suggestions

Skip Ellis

I need to kill a lot of birds with one stone! Need suggestions for alternatives to Shure PG81 - a little cheaper, maybe. Needs to be battery as well as phantom power capable and I'll occasionally use an in-line transformer to run it through a guitar amp if I don't want to carry a mixer, etc. around. This will be used for solo acoustic (steel string & classical) guitar in small venues. Would rather use a condenser but maybe an SM57 would be a better choice?

I do know a decent budget SDC for steel and classical - a Naiant. The guy who makes them used to post here. $60 or so. I have two of them - bought about 5 years ago. I have used them a lot, no problems. I use them primarily as drum overheads, but I've also used them on steel string guitar.

I would use them on my classical but I have a Neumann KM184 which is in a whole other ballpark.

Naiant Studio - Custom audio recording equipment

Would rather use a condenser but maybe an SM57 would be a better choice?
More to do with budget and hassle (my recording set up has to be fully portable) than anything else, but I use an SM57 for everything. I even sing into it. Most people use 58s for vocals but a 57 works just fine - Lemmy used one! I've used it for micing up amps and acoustics and singing.

Basically - if you want a lot of birds with one stone - get a 57.

Very similar in design to the AKG C1000S but $50 (US) less expensive and gets much better ratings than the AKG.

I used to own a pair of c1000s years ago... We used them as drum overheads, on acoustic and often on guitar cabs (sounded better on my friends vox amp than a 57 did but was awful on a Marshall cab).

For acoustic guitar - the M3s trounce the c1000s to my ears - much fuller, brighter and requiring less EQ.
Been years since I threw a mic at a kit or an amp but if I had both I'd reach for the rode first.

Back