Mic Suggestions for Congas

on congas i eithor usually use earthworks sro (if i want a more natural sound)
or at pro 37r if i'm going for more snap-in your face thing (needs less eq)

but that's just based on my mic collection, if thare is a "go to" conga mic that the big dogs use, i don't know what it is.

but i know i need a set of gom-bop congas!
(spelling??)

p.s. seems to me that a lot of conga sound i.e. getting attack to sound propper.... has a bunch to do with getting the compression right.
but same as ever, if you have good sounding congas+good player, you get a good sound.

I've recorded excellent conga tracks with my Shure SM7 that I bought for $300. Great for everything else too.

But I really don't think you'll need a specialized conga mic, I've gotten acceptable results with the dreadful AKG C3000 too, where the hyped midrange actually helped bring forward some skin tone, although it wouldn't be my first choice for anything. Try what you have, and as always, what makes or breaks a track is the player and his instrument.

If you do intend to buy mics specifically for percussion, you owe yourself to look at the Audix D-series.

I have no experience w/ congas or bongos, but I do have extensive experience with doumbek, Djembe, and zarb. A doumbek is basically a bongo with balls, and a full sized Djembe is basically a conga with BIG balls. Zarb is more mellow, and quieter than a Djembe. I've had very good luck with Shure SM7B on the skin, and AKG D112 on the throat.-Richie

A pair of Avenson STO-2's smoke on percussion recording, Oktava MC012's (older Russian type) would work well, AT4041's are an awesome choice...there's a lot to think about!

War

I record congas and bongos all the time and I use the following:
Senheisser MD421 on congas
AKG 414 on bongos
I record Salsa music all the time, sounds natural with this setup.

Back