Mic shoot out + Genesis 3 track:

Speeddemon

Hey guys, I promised you some new samples (Genesis 3 and mics)
Lopp and Gidge, I'll bet you like it! :cool: ;)
You can listen or freely download the tracks here:
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1875&alid=-1

The tracks are "Wanted Dude mic 1-5" and "Wanted Dude" (full intro with 2 of the sample-tracks, accompanied by bass and drums)
1 of the tracks is a Genesis 3 sound (amp modeller). I don't think it's hard to tell which, although I did some extra stuff to make it less obvious (I created some metronome spill on the background, like the one heard on the 4 mic tracks)

I did no eq-ing, only added a dash of reverb from my new Sony V55M reverb.
I used the following mics:
  • Shure SM57
  • Sennheiser e609
  • Sennheiser MD421
  • Studio Projects C1

The amp was a little Roland 405 40W Tubelogic (which has 4 5" speakers). I placed all the mics about 4" away from the low-right speaker.

Succesfull guessing!

well hell, I'll guess, as I've proven I can't hear a thing..

#4 was the direct for sure...radically different sounding
#5 was the C1 because of the crispier high end...

#1-3 are a toss up to me...being all dynamics. the mic being moved an inch would alter the sound as much as changing mics, I would think, especially with the 57 and the 421 being pretty similar in many ways on a gtr too. I don't know the other sennheiser.

Is this what we are supposed to do??

oh..the final mix...kinda had some scooped mids to it, I thought...kinda like the smiley face curve EQ. But my kind of music, for sure!:)

You're on the right track, dude! :)
I salute you.
BTW, I didn't scoop mids on the 'final mix', I DID apply some multiband limiting-preset of my Korg D16 to it, to make it a tad louder. Maybe that inherently cuts some mids, I dunno.

Well, after this test, I pretty much came to the conclusion that the SM57 won't be my 1st choice again on a guitaramp, when I have a C1 or a MD421 lying around. BOTH sound way better, and not to mention, easier to place.

mic1 MD421
mic2 E609
mic3 SM57
mic4 Genesis
mic5 C1

I'm half convinced that I have mic 2 and 3 backwards.

So whats your word on the e609? You like it or not? I rather like it a whole bunch. Jam it on the voicecoil, and a condensor on another speaker and mix them... man... fatness...

Tubedude, in this test I wasn't too impressed with the 609. Maybe it needs REALLY good positioning to make it shine... But if I'd were to record a guitar amp right now, I'd stick a MD421 in front of it and be done with it...

"You're a human target, in my eyes. I've got you within my sights. And by the rope, you will hang. It's your neck, from this Ratt gang!"

Cool Speed. At first I thought the clips sounded too scooped. Then I remembered my headphones make everything sound bass heavy. :rolleyes:

Good stuff!
:cool:

Thanx Lopp... Speedy DeMartini kicks ass! :D

But seriously, I only had a bit of a scooped sound on the whole intro (w/ drum & bass), the rest is quite mid-heavy (especially the honkey-sounding SM57 and the e609 which sounded a bit wooly).

Back