Mic setup for a Resonator Guit

jcrouse

Hi all,

Does anyone have a good mic setup for a resonator guitar? I've got a couple of tunes that I need to do (I'm playing as well). One I'd like to have the trash can sound on and the other is more geared toward a wood body, bluegrass type sound. My guit is actually too tight as far as the resonator goes, so I can probably get both tones. I'm figuring that I'll do either an XY, or a 12th fret and over the shoulder for the warmer type, but do you have any suggestions on where to start for the trashy blues type? i've got condensers (Nova and SP-1) and dynamics (57, Hairy Larry's suggested Realistic Omni) available. Just looking for any tried and true suggestions as a starting point for either tone really.

Thanks in advance,
JC

When I recorded with one two years ago I just miced the cone like it was a guitar amp... I mean that really is what the thing is... An amp inside a guitar.

I've only done a few but I do recall they're fun and easy to find good tones in either direction, close in and trashy' or back and away from the direct bright top -wood'!
:)

Back