Mic recommendation ~$400 or so...

You know CT I've never done a A/B test between those two microphones. Give me a few days and I'll get back to you with my findings.

That's awesome, moresound! Thanks!

I would anticipate that the RE20 would generally be considered a "better" mic - and at twice the price, it should be. (my e602 was about $200)

Adding something like an RE20, or AKG D12/D112 has certainly been on my list for the future. But until now, my perception was that they're just sort of a "more of the same only better" sort of thing. Kinda like if I wanted to upgrade my NT1 to a U87....

Better, clearly... but not at all "different."

CT

Adding something like an RE20, or AKG D12/D112 has certainly been on my list for the future. But until now, my perception was that they're just sort of a "more of the same only better" sort of thing.

That's a negatory Chris.
There's a world of difference between the d12 and d112. Honestly, they're not interchangeable at all.

D112 is surprisingly useful for a super-scooped deep radio voice kinda thing, but the d12 is pretty much the opposite.

I wish i had a bass amp or a kick drum. Id do a wee test too! lol

**edit. you mentioned the 421. Henry prefers the re20 and i prefer the sm7b, but i think the md421 is a better 'all rounder'.
It just does everything well IMO. Vocals and all. You don't hear that all too often, but i love it.

Last edited:
That's a negatory Chris.
There's a world of difference between the d12 and d112. Honestly, they're not interchangeable at all.

D112 is surprisingly useful for a super-scooped deep radio voice kinda thing, but the d12 is pretty much the opposite.

I wish i had a bass amp or a kick drum. Id do a wee test too! lol

**edit. you mentioned the 421. Henry prefers the re20 and i prefer the sm7b, but i think the md421 is a better 'all rounder'.
It just does everything well IMO. Vocals and all. You don't hear that all too often, but i love it.

It's weird Paul. I have nine MD421's and I have never used them other than in a horn section of a swing-big band. One of these days I should take them off the road and start to expand the use of them.

It's weird Paul. I have nine MD421's and I have never used them other than in a horn section of a swing-big band. One of these days I should take them off the road and start to expand the use of them.

The record I am tracking now I used the MD421's on toms, guitar cabs, tambourine, and vocals. I love those mics.

I second the SM7 recommendation for a good dynamic.

But you might want to consider a multi-pattern mic, for the versatility they offer. Oktava MK220 is nice, and in your price range.

IDK, maybe it's cos they're 421-ns. I don't have a huge deal of experience with modern ones.

Back