mic pre's!!

drumminsnowman

Hey, ive been using an old behringer mixer for my mic pre's .. and i think it sounds real crappy... so, im thinking about buying this
http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--BEHMIC200?trk=smx the Behringer MIC200 Tube Preamplifier .... anyone know if this is a good mic pre?
im using it to warm up my guitar after it was conncected to the v-amp 2...
the pre is really cheap... so will i get a good signal or no? ... ill spend up to $200, so if anyone has any better ideas... im up for them!
thanks..

I would suggest the JoeMeek 3Q or the DMP-3. You get an extra channel with the DMP-3 though. But the JoeMeek 3Q offers an EQ and Comp. built in.
JoeMeek 3Q - $200
DMP-3 - $160
Just some options.

drumminsnowman said:
Hey, ive been using an old behringer mixer for my mic pre's .. and i think it sounds real crappy... so, im thinking about buying this
http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--BEHMIC200?trk=smx the Behringer MIC200 Tube Preamplifier .... anyone know if this is a good mic pre?
im using it to warm up my guitar after it was conncected to the v-amp 2...
the pre is really cheap... so will i get a good signal or no? ... ill spend up to $200, so if anyone has any better ideas... im up for them!
thanks..

The "tube" gear on the low end of the price range aren't really tube gear. They use a tube, but not in the kind of circuit (starved plate) used in high end "real tube" gear. IMO, "tube" and "warmth" are a marketing gimick at this price range. What you are doing is basically intentionally dirtying up your signal. The lowest end piece that will give you "real tube" sound is the Groove Tubes Brick (and now maybe the new Electro Harmonix pre, although the jury is still out). As with anything, use your ears and if you like the way the Behri tube pre sounds go with it, but please be aware that "tube" doesn't always mean good.

DO NOT waste money trying to upgrade from one behringer pre to another. Thats just dumb to think you'll get an upgrade cause its got a pretty little tube in it. Sorry dumb is harsh, uninformed is better. Just look around this forum and you'll see a few good choices in your price range, and thats all there are, just a few. The dmp3 is what I'd also recommend much much higher quality than behringer.

ive got the mic200... been using it for a while i think its a good preamp for the price and it'll get what you want done but your only going to want to upgrade it very soon anyway... i'd suggest getting the DMP-3 as I have heard great things about it, but if you insist upon getting a tube pre i'd be looking an Electro-Harmonix pre....

thanks everyone for your info...
i finally decided on the the maudio dmp3... from all of the reviews, it looks pretty reliable, and in my cost range!
thanks for all the help!

I myself upgraded from behringer pre's to the DMP-3 and was quite happy with it, although I see you've already made up your mind, so good for you! :D

Back