mic pres with digi 002

vacant

this is probably a stupid question but can i use an external preamp running into a digi002. I was just curious because of the built in pres on the digi 002, if so do i really need one or are the focusrites built in sufficient. also what would the benefit of buying rack gear(effects processors, compressors,etc) rather than plugins is the difference that noticable? thanks

Last edited:
yes you can. you'd just run line out of the external preamp into the line in of the 002. however, on channels 1-4 I think the signal will still go through Digi's amplifier circuit. some people don't mind this other people bitch that the pres on the 002 are no good and they don't want the extra amplification to color the signal.
also, the pres on the 002 are not Focusrite pres.

o thats right im thinking about the mbox, i have one now but i am upgrading to a digi002 within a week or two. so are the pres on the digi002 garbage?

you'll probably here different from person to person....but i don't mind them. the sound fine enough for me. but you have 14 other inputs to add other preamps.

Well, if you had unlimited cash, you could buy a ton of high-end outboard gear. But I'm guessing that you don't...in which case you will probably find it more cost efficient to purchase some decent plugins that can be applied to more than one track and get the job done.

The digi002's pres aren't great, and they don't suck. They are middle of the road preamps, about what you would expect from a pretty good mixer. You only get pres on channels 1-4. Channels 5-8 are line ins, intended for outboard pres. You can increase the total number of simultaneous ins by using the optical input and/or S/PDIF. I use 5-8 for some serious outboard pres, 1-4 for additional tracks (read drums), and an 8 channel outboard pre for stuff where I just need a shitload of channels (I'm working on a series of radio plays that really will suck up 12 to 16 channels. Just the cables and headphone distribution involved boggles the mind.-Richie

Back