mic preamps ok for cassette/LP transfer?

Noodlehoss

Hi,

I'm currently working on transferring tapes and records to CD. The output levels of the tape and record players are pretty low. Is it ok to boost them with a mic/ instrument preamp? I have heard different opinions on this.

I'm using a M-Audio Omni Studio interface which has 2 preamps. Recording into Cool Edit Pro.

Thanks

For LP's, you'll need to compensate for the RIAA curve. For cassettes, you may need to compensate for Dolby noise reduction. This is usually done at the pre-amp phase, but could be done after the fact in CE.

I believe the Omni can handle the levels - I've done cassette transfers (one just this weekend), and they were okay.

Daf

Actually, the outputs of consumer tape deck is around -10 which is what most all consumer soundcards want to see coming in, so you wouldn't need any amplification there. The turntable on the other hand absolutely requires a RIAA preamp (Which is really to amplify and provide the correct equilization curv). This is a pre just for turntables and not a mic preamp.

hmmm... alright

so if I used the Omni's preamp for the turntable, the EQ would be incorrect... and tapes should transfer fine with no pre-amping.

thanks guys!
:)

That would do the trick but if you have a regular stereo tuner around that has phono inputs (most home stereos do) you could use that.

Back