Mic Preamp

intune

Have Roland VS-1880 and Shure KSM-32. Getting good sound but I know from what I here that if I get a pre-amp I am going to get a much better sound. Have been recording enough to know that it all matters on what sounds good. Am a firm beleiver that you get what you pay for, but do I really need an Avalon or are there some good ones out there. I know this is an almost impossible question to answer, but any info you can give me helps me. Thanks. If anyone could let me hear some samples it would help me decide.

There's almost no limit as to how much you can spend on a preamp but I would think an ART or Presonus or any one of the entry level usual suspects will do you fine for now. When and if you later decide to move on to something on the higher end, you can sell it and recover a fair amount of your investment.

When you think about the reasonably priced mics, pres, compressors and other recording gear thats out there now and what was available ten years ago, and what it cost, these are certainly good times for home recording.

Well, you get what you pay for.....
No ART or Presonus is going to give you "pro" results!!
But, it will be a step up from the Roland.
Buy Presonus, have not heard anything from ART I would have in my studio.

Amund

I have a PreSonus MP20 and I think it offers a lot at it's price point. $500, two channels, mix buss, inserts, HiZ inputs for recording bass guitar and guitars direct. It has an internal power supply, no wall wart like most budget preamps. Good as a bass DI too.

Vintech 1272, 2 channels $1300

M-Audio DMP3 $200 I'd try it if I was looking for something inexpensive

Great River, Peavey VMP2, Universal Audio M160, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah. Use the search engine for more ideas

Good luck

Back