Mic Preamp

rll882000

I know they make two and six but do they make a 4 channle mic preamp, cause i would hate to have to buy two two channle ones to accomidate my needs.
Thanks for any help

rll882000 said:
I know they make two and six but do they make a 4 channle mic preamp, cause i would hate to have to buy two two channle ones to accomidate my needs.
Thanks for any help

What is your pricerange? Sytek makes a nice 4-channel preamp. The API and OSA boxes also will acommodate multiple preamps that you buy separately.

my price range is cheap, but i need good sound. ( yeah i know the eternal conundrum of recording on a bgdget) but i do know that i would prefer something thats rack mountable casue otherwise ill lose it. I need it screwed down.

got anything cheaper i know its asking alot but im thinking like 300 tops, would i just be better off buy two 2 channle ones?

rll882000 said:
got anything cheaper i know its asking alot but im thinking like 300 tops, would i just be better off buy two 2 channle ones?

Four channels under $300? Your best bet would be either 2 M-Audio DMP3s or a small mixer (Yamaha/Soundcraft).

If this was the 1966 Sears catalog...

"LOW COST 4 CHANNEL PREAMP PACKAGES"

GOOD : 4 channels of somewhat clean and cheap = Behringer UB1202 (around $100)

BETTER : 4 channels of clean and cheap = 2 M-Audio AudioBuddy's (around $150)

BEST : 4 channels of clean, good head room and not expensive = 2 M-Audio DMP3's (around $300-$350)

:) :) :)

Hi,
My take on this is that, unless you are doing some kind of surround matched mic/pre setup, it may be better to get a two different dual channel pre's. My reasoning is this:

1. You'll have a couple of differen't flavors of pre's to mix with different flavors of mics, giving you more sonic choices.

2. You'll have a couple of differen't flavors of pre's to mix with different flavors of mics, avoiding build ups of certain frequencies in your mix.

3. You'll have a couple of different power supplies, meaning if the quad mic pre's or mixer's supply craps out, you're dead in the water. With seperate unit's you have redundancy of the good kind.

I'd suggest getting one set of clean pre's, like a DMP3 (very nice for the money), and then something more colored for the other pair.

Cheers, RD

Robert D said:
3. You'll have a couple of different power supplies, meaning if the quad mic pre's or mixer's supply craps out, you're dead in the water. With seperate unit's you have redundancy of the good kind.

That's usually a major consideration for me when purchasing audio gear.

chessrock said:
You can get perfectly acceptable sound in that price range with a 4-channel mixer by Mackie or Soundcraft.

Yeah - Mackie, that's the way I'd go for the money. Then when you have the money to buy the PREs that you want you'll still have a nice mixer. Just MHO, Dave.

I'll second the DMP3 product. Simply put, it's got two channels of some of the best clean sound you'll hear for the money. I run mine straight into a Delta44 and color the sound using plugins. Works good for me.

thanks everyone for the help, as of now i have a Art Tps II running into a yamaha 12/4fx mixer, for rock music i think it would be fine to run the mics directly to the mixer, but if im doing something a little cleaner id like the option of a good pre. I also decided why am i killing myself looking for a four when i can actually get a 6 or an 8 becasue i have the channles on the mixer. any new ideas for a 6 or 8]

Back