Mic Preamp Question

R_tikul8

I'd like to know the minimum I would need for a mic. preamp, really don't understand them and is a direct box the same thing.
I'm recording into a Fostex VF-08 I just got and need to know about preamps and could you also use it if you're mic'ing an acoustic guitar or could you run an acoustic sound hole pickup to a mic preamp or direct box first. Maybe stupid questions, but I'm new, would like to know what I need for starters. thanks

Thanks for your reply and excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by balanced in's and out's and with a single channel mic. preamp, would I be able to use if for both mic and acoustic sound hole pickup and for around $200 what should I look for.

Only have 2 cheap mic's now a CAD and Nady, bottom of the line, but getting something better as soon as I figure out what I need, been reading posts like crazy to figure out what I want in my price range. Guitar pickup is just a woody sound hole insert pickup, sounds pretty good run straight into the recorder. Yes the recorder has fantom power, but only on the XLR imputs, so can't use with the guitar pickup. Thanks for your replies, really helping.

Back