Mic Preamp Question

halo206

Hello Everyone..

I'm thinking of upgrading my setup as far as channels i can mix/record at once. I was wondering if anyone knew any solutions for firewire or I/O 8 Channel Mic Pre-amps? And i was also wondering if anyone could give me some pros and cons for firewire vs I/O. Or is there any other way of taking your preamp outs into a computer rig via maybe adat or something?

Thanks alot!

- Mike

halo206 said:
Hello Everyone..

I'm thinking of upgrading my setup as far as channels i can mix/record at once. I was wondering if anyone knew any solutions for firewire or I/O 8 Channel Mic Pre-amps? And i was also wondering if anyone could give me some pros and cons for firewire vs I/O. Or is there any other way of taking your preamp outs into a computer rig via maybe adat or something?
hmmmm, firewire *is* a type of I/O. Are you asking as compared to a PCI card? USB?

Do you need 8 preamps? Or 8 channels A/D D/A conversion? I have 16 channels AD/DA conversion and only 4 mic preamps.

Once you've determined your requirements, do a search on the forum and you'll find this has been discussed a lot. I'm sure you'll find a solution.

Personally, I would never get an 8-channel preamp as I would want a palette of flavours which you would not get from an 8-channel unit. In my opinion, it would only seem desirable to mic a drum kit, and then again only if I wanted all the mics run through the same preamp. Just a thought. Maybe what you really want is 8 channels AD/DA and one or two preamps to start. That way, you can grow your preamp palette in time.

Hope this helps.

Back