MIC preamp options. Opinions needed for these.

wang191

I'm running a Digidesign 001 and lately 8 tracks just isn't enough for the bands comming in.
I have been working with hardcore bands and the guys producing the stuff want more mics on the drums.
So i'm looking into getting an 8channel preamp with Lightpipe outputs so i can use it with the 001 for a 16 channel studio.

Now because the digi only has 2 preamp inputs I had been using a mackie mixer and stealing the trim preamp outputs at the insert jacks and running those into the digi001 so that i could get enough preamps. THe mackie was ok for this, very little noise. But then i tried the same thing with the beringer ub2442fx-pro and i noticed that the pre's are noisey as hell.

Now this brings me to my choice for the 8 channel pres either being the Behringer ADA8000 for 200 bucks or a SM Pro Audio PR8MKII for 200 and then the lightpipe adapter for 100 making the total 300 dollars.

After hearing the berhinger mixer i almost dont trust this 8ch pre unit, but then again it's 200 for only 8 pres as opposed to the 300 for a whole mixing board, so maybe the pre's are better?

Anyway any input as to these two choices or other options too, are all appreciated.

----------
I'm running all sm58's for the drum mics right now, but that will change soon. I'm investing in more equipment at this studio soon.

I'd get the ADA 8000.
I have a SM PRmk2 w/ADAT option card. SUCKS
Well, it ain't so bad as an analog pre amp but with the ADAT option the noise went from about -95db up to -75db. :mad: Must be the fine converters they used. :rolleyes:

I've heard some rather good recordings from the ADA 8000, and kicked myself in the ass for getting the SM PRmk2.
I've done replaced it with an M-Audio Octane.
I'm actually still considering getting the ADA to see first-hand how well it could do for me. The fact that it also has D/A is a bonus.

Back