Mic preamp - compressor - interface. Cables?

Skew

Hi again!
That's what i'm going to buy very soon and now I'm wondering what cables to choise. here we go:

Preamp

Summit Audio 2BA-221 Mic & Line Module @ Millennium Music

Compressor

dbx 166XL Compressor/Limiter/Gate

interface

Tascam US-1641 USB Recording Interface | Dawsons Music

so,like i said, I'm not sure what's the best way connect them.

Preamp(one XLR , one 1/4) to separate channels of compressor or Isert cable cable from preamp to compressor? (This preamp have only one XLR and one Line input, the same outputs)

And compressor to interface simply with two XLR cable from each channel?

thanks for the answers!
cheers

P.s. I'm not going to use a mixer at the moment

So, are you saying that the preamps in the Tascam US-1641 totally suck? If so, how do you know? Have you ever heard a recording made through one?

You didn't mention what DAW you will be using. Have you ever used it before? Are you sure that the compressor plugins included with your DAW are not adequate for what you are trying to do?

Does your experience with the built-in preamps and compressor plugins mentioned above indicate that you need an outboard preamp and compressor, or is it just something you read somewhere or something that somebody told you?

Do you even know what a preamp and a compressor do?

I'm sorry if I'm coming off harsh, but it appears you are going to go out and spend a fair amount of money on equipment that you don't even know how to connect.

And how to connect these pieces of equipment is probably the most basic knowledge one could have.

Money is no substitute for knowledge. And may I suggest that you hang on to the former until you have enough of the latter to know how to usefully spend it...

woauwau. I'm just trying to setup my second (higher level) home studio . that is result after lot and lot of reading reviews , articles and etc. i didn't say that tascam preamp totally suck, i heard some recordings with it and i heard my selected preamp combination with Rode K2 condenser mic (sounds brilliant on a main vocals), i need audio interface, mixer or other thing anyway. I chose tascam cause it's USB(what I like) it have more inputs with a preamps (which I'm going to use later) and it's good for a price. Compressor? Why I chose it? Yep, only because of a good reviews and for a money what i can spend. I made a decision that compressor is very useful in any studio setup , If I'm not right please correct me. i know what preamp and what compressor do. My DAW is computer based, cubase 5. Like i said I'm trying to make a step ( I didn't buy anything yet) so thats why I'm asking (making sure) a lot of questions, even if they may seem silly to someone. After each of the different question I'm getting a good and bad comments( and the main thing - a lot of off topic like yours, but it's not bad) , so don't blame me if I'm trying to make final decision by my self, because there is no other way.

Hey,

I've been recording audio in my home studio for some time now. Since 2010. I've been upgrading my equipment ever so often and now I'm at a block. I need your help and so far in research, you're the only person who's been speaking some sense on the internet.

I've got an Audio Technica AT-4040 mic, Behringer X1204USB mixer, M-audio Fast Track Pro. M-Audio AV40's and BX 8a's.

2 days ago I ordered an external preamp/compressor/eq "ART Pro Channel II".

But now I don't know how to connect it. My mixer does not have an insert port. It has the send and return jacks. Plus, the Art Pro Channel back doesnt seem to really give much of a way around it.

My setup is all I've got. I've gotten great audio from it and can't really go shopping for any more expensive stuff. Can you help me connect this new ART Pro to my already configured setup. I've heard the best chain is mic>preamp(in my case, "Behringer x1204")>compressor(Art PRo Channel II)>interface..

What cables do I use? and What's the best way? I need your help. ASAP.
Please

Hi,
You could put an eq, compressor or effect into an insert point or effects loop, but you wouldn't generally put a preamp in there.
Since your art unit is a channel strip with pre, eq, comp all in one, you'd don't want to put it before, or after, another preamp.

Your best bet is to plug it straight into a line input before converters.

Hope that helps.

Back