Mic pre Vocal Processor Advise

I know 3 musician friends using the Digitech Vocalist on live gigs, and I can honestly say that it works great for them. One of them is also a record producer and is using it in the studio with great results. I can't really comment on the other units although I am aware of what they are capable of. It really comes down to budget and what you expect it to do as per application. I would suspect that the Digitech unit is certainly within a fair $$ ballpark. I have heard final mixes from my producer/musician friend where he has used the Digitech unit and it sounds fantastic. But remember, he's been in the biz a long time and could extract a ship from a bottle, all in one piece. It's all in the tasteful knowledge of knowing how and when to use it. P.S. - Quite frankly, I hate the damn things on a live gig!!! If you 've got musicians to sing harmony, give me "REAL VOCALS' anyday. But they work great on a singles gig I'm sure. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Im using the blue tube right now for vocals and micing up instruments. Its pretty smooth but dont use it like a marshall stack because you will get some noise.

Thanks for the input so far but let me be more specific about what I am trying to accomplish. Most everything I record I play all of the instruments (Guitar,Bass,Keybaords) myself except the drums which my buddy does, unless I use my synth or Drum machine. I do alot of the vocals myself, but I wouldn't consider myself a great singer but I am working at it. What I would like to do is create some harmonies behind the lead vocal as well as do I all I can to impove the overall lead vocal. I am also interested in the "Antares Vocal Producer" as well. But what I am trying to determine is if I buy one of these will help me get a better quality vocal track, and if one unit is better then the other from anyone who has used one. I is important to me that vocal still sound human however, i have no interest in pitch shifters that sound like crap vocally.

Generally these harmonizers sound better recreating vocals if the pitch of the singer is the highest one. I dont reccomend trying to recreate higher vocal harmonies with this device. unless you like the "munchkin" sound.:D

I have both a Digitech Vocalist and the Behringer V2000.

The Vocalist can be a good tool, but it does not produce human sounding harmonies. If you keep the harmonies low in the mix it can fill out the sound, but it don't sound like good back-up singers. As darrin says, the higher the harmony the more machine like the sound.

I use it to record harmony lines and then sing the harmony line (doubling the Vocaist). I find it easier to hit the harmony notes if I have the Vocalist to follow. I then keep the vocalis lower in the mix (below my real harmonies) to fatten up the voices. Bottom line, it was not the "magic box" I hoped it would be, but I do use it with success.

The V2000 is a channel strip which to me seems designed to be a ripoff of the Focusrite Voicemaster. However for the cost, I think the V2000 it worth the price. I full channel strip for not much more than an Art Tube MP.

Hey everyone thanks for your reply's but Basil you say save your money or get an RNMP or a Joe Meek VC1Qcs why? I am mostly interested in the the Antares Vocal Producer or the T.C. Helicon VoicePrism do you have any experience with either of them and why the Joe Meek instead?

Back