Mic Pre suggestions

JC Lives

I am looking for suggestions on a reasonably priced dual channel mic pre with built in EQ.

I currently have a Peavey powered mixer that has lousy pre's and a VS-880 that I am not particularly fond of the EQ's

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Joe

If you're going to upgrade your pres, then UPGRADE YOUR PRES.... depending on what your idea of "reasonably-priced" is, "reasonably-priced WITH EQ" may pretty much give you the same pre as what you have on your board now!!!!!!

Look at the Presonus MP20 - an excellent dual-channel unit... I use a single channel Presonus VXP - it has a very functional EQ... very clean, very nice.... (dual channel of course, will be pricy since you'd need two of 'em!)

Bruce
:)

Thanks Bruce.

I have kind of looked at the MP 20 (pictures that is). I have also thought about the Joe Meek vq6 but not sure if I want to get it due to the optical compressor built into it.

I would like to stay under $500 if possible. Even that is going to be hard to come up with.

I just know that I need to do something because the sound I am getting now is unacceptable to me. It is detering from my will do record my music, knowing that I will have to do it all again once I am able to get a mic pre.

Let me ask one question since I have never worked with a mic pre before. Will it increase the sound quality enough that I may not have to rely on the EQ of my VS-880 as much.

Well that's a strong possibility, but it will be your mic that is the determining factor far more than the pre...

What mic(s) are you using?

Bruce

Does anyone have any comments on the dbx 386. I was looking at it Sweetwater's web and see that it has digital outs.

JC Lives said:
My main mic is an AKG C4000 B. I also have a couple of AKG D3700 Dynamics.
Seems like that mic (4000) should do ya just fine.... If you have a place that will play ball with ya, the best bet is to get them to let you take a couple of the pres home and try them out...

Bruce

JC Lives: No EQ on the dbx 386 and a lot of people don't like it because it's so damn transparent, but that's why I love it. And the digital outs are more than a portal to another type of input. The converter circuitry has a built-in doohicky to protect you against clipping the bugger while recording live while still delivering a hot, hot signal. And it's 24/96 ready.

Oh so many choices

Thanks for the input guys.

What I really need to do is warm up the sound since my VS-880 is so cold. It appears that since the dbx is transparent that it would not be the right choice.

I think i might need to check out the Presonus MP20. The only problem I have now is coming up with the funds. I could probably talk my wife into letting me get the Presonus blue since I can get it for around $160, but I don't think that I want to go that route.

I have seen alot of nice pres that have what I am looking for, but man are they expensive. I know the old saying that you get what you pay for. Oh well just have to make due with what I can get.

Peace
Joe

I have a $40 v-tech mic thing( you know, the kind that has on/off switch), that I use for voice practice, when I don't want to bring out my expensive condenser,

and the joemeek vc6q still makes it sound awesome. Its not surprising, though. The vc6q won Prorec.com preamp of the year, and a reviewer actually said that it does make dynamic mics sound like condensers.

So if you can afford that, go for it. You won't need to upgrade your mic for some time.

It also works well with akg mics. my recording mic is an AKG c414, and that combo is THE BEAST.

It is only one channel though.

If you want totally transparent, you might look into the Dbx 386. They have the new dbx 376 which is one channel, but offers eq and compression. I don't know if it has as much spark as the 386 is reputed to have though.

I've used the MP20 for a couple of years now. For the price I just don't think it can be beat. A few months ago I got a Focusrite Voicemaster (only did it cause I got it below dealer cost). I though having a dedicated channel strip with EQ, compression, de-esser, etc. was the why to go.

Although the mic pre in the Focusrite is very good - I still prefer the MP20. Not sure exactly why, but my ears tell me it sounds better. Lesson learned was use a good mic pre, with a good mic and learn placement. Once that is mastered - EQ, compression and all the rest becomes much less important.

To mike and/or Bruce.

I have another question about the MP20. I would like to know if it is quite. I have not had the chance to read any reviews on it. The reason I ask is because I have read that the Blue Tube is on the noisy side.

Your input is greatly appreciated

Thanks
Joe

JC Lives - The MP20 is quiet. Keep in mind it is "only" a pre-amp - no eq on board. If you need the EQ consider the VXP. I have A/B'd my Focusrite with the VXP and I was very impressed with the VXP (in particular since the Voicemaster is "in theory" a higher end unit.

mikeh, Thanks for the input, I would love to get something like the VXP, however, I am looking for dual channel. Since the VXP is only single channel, it would require 2 of them. I am going to have a hard time coming up with the funds for the MP20.

Bruce, your recording wisdom seems infinite to me because of my meager knowledge.

Another possibility ???

I am still trying to decide on a mic pre.

Has anyone used the Art 210 Pro MPA. If so, whata are your opinions. The reason I ask is cus it seems to be a little cheaper than the MP20.

Thanks in Advance
Joe

Back