Mic Pre Purchase Help

TheMessStudio

Im loking to get a Mic pre in the 1 -$2000 range. I need it to be useful on both instruments (mainly guitar) and Voice. Any suggestions. Someone mentioned a Drawmer in the $600 range, looked real good, single channel, perhas 2 of these is an option. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. Im not a PRO studio but im not a low end studio either. Kinda in the middle. Good board, Mackie HDR2496 recorder. Good mics. Lex. reverb, you get the point.

Their are so many choices and ways to go.. Avalon,Great River,Grace ect. and racked Neve,API ect...Some of the "channels" like the Focusrite ISA 110...I guess if it were me maybe a couple of Grace 101's and maybe a Distressor or maybe two Avalon M5's..You know what.......Im a great help...Sorry..LOL..Good luck

Don

"DA" MessStudio:

Yo:

Make sure you examine the MARTINSOUND MIC PRES. They make two models and both are less than your budget. Both have had very good reviews. I don't have one but if I ever get another, MartinSound will be in the running.

Green Hornet
You can punch up Martinsound on the net.

talking about spending 1-2000 on a mic pre makes my head spin...someone get me a paper bag......

A lot of our friends over at the rec.audio.pro seem to think the Great River is about the best thing going right now in that price range.

if I we shopping for mic pre's.. and I am,I would go with a classic like a neve, calrec,telefunkin. Something that will hold its value if not increase and has a great sound to boot. You can get a Neve 1272 pair racked for about$1800.00 or you can buy raw modules and get someone to rack them. That is what I'm doing right now.Some of the new stuff is great but with the way audio shifts,things go down in vaule..look at adats!!!ah!!. Go vintage..you wont be sorry..hey there what all of the recordings were done with that you listen to anyways!!,Jim

Thanks for the replies thus far.
Sorry to make you sick gidge, but ive bought crap in the past and I dont want to spend a couple hundred on a piece of equipment that is worth $10 after i take it out of the store. I came into a bit of cash(Uncle sam OWES me a blundle this tax season) and i want to get something GOOD. not the Best, not OK, but something PRO.
Im looking into the neive (spell?)
I was thrown a couple of model numbers and would like to hear somethign about them if anyone has used or owns them. the models were
any thoughts??

Disclaimer: I have never actually used any Neve pre yet, but I've been around them and have done some research and I'm in the middle of building one.

Anyway, the 1272 was a line amp that many people have modified to be a mic pre by adding a transormer and proper gain switch. They are very popular. The 1081 was a later (i think) mic pre with eq and such. These don't necessarily need to be modifed. The 1073 is what most people are after. These are great mic pre's with EQ, similar to the 1081 but earlier I think. I'm kinda sketchy on the 81's and 73's but I don't think you could go wrong with a 1272, in fact, that is the model I am building right now.

ian

Back