Mic pre+instrument DI query

Smoulders

Hi there.

Im just putting the finishing touches to a youth club studio here in London.

Over the years I have gradually been getting thhem into the idea of playing instruments rather than just rapping.

We now have a decent sizzed live room adjoined to a pretty high end control room (certainly for a youth club).

I am looking for a decent mic pre that will double up as an instrument DI as well. I have a spare 2U slot in the exisitng rack.

I have been considering either the focusrite voicemaster pro or the TL Audio ebony A1.

Occasionally I can envisage a situation where we would want to DI both guitarist and bass player at the same time, so the Ebony beiing a dual channel option wins on that count. Also there is already a dual Drawmer compressor so perhaps the extra functionality of the focusrite is not so necessarry.

Has anyone got any suggestions that might help to sway me between these two? Or perhaps even something completely different.

This might seem a bit high end for a youth club, but I have worked with these young people for some time and the money is there.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Nick

Being in the UK limits you to what you can get or so I've been told time and time again here on the forums but I think that is due to import taxes and a lot of people are trying to save a $.
I had made a similar request not to long ago and was directed towards the Joemeek studio channel strip *The TwinQ* and that's what I ordered and awaiting it's arrival as I write.
After a long search it was really the biggest bang for the buck (not to mention that it come with a free microphone!).
Before being turned on to this unit I was contemplating the FRM RNP, the golden age project pre-73 -you must purchase 2 units for it's only a single,or the ART pro MPA 11.
Now aside from the stereo Pre amp you are to purchase ,you do have pre amps at your disposal now in the form of a mixer right?

:cool:

I would recommend either a Focusrite ISA One or Golden Age Projects PRE73.

The ISA One is 2 channels.Channel 1 is a mic pre and Channel 2 is a DI. You can pick one of these up for £399 inc.P&P these days which is a real bargain!!

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/focusrite-isa-one-classic-single-channel-pre-amp--48366

Alternatively I'd recommend the Golden Age Projects PRE73. You would need 2 of these as it's only 1 channel. I've used this on bass and vocals and the preamp and DI sounds fantastic! These now cost £249 + £15 P&P

http://www.recording-microphones.co.uk/Budget-ribbon-microphone.shtml

Finally the Audient Mico would be another great option to check out! I haven't personally tried this one but I know a few people using these now and they love them. These are 2 channels and offer the HMX tube saturation effect. These cost £345

http://www.mt247.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh00..._Catalogue_Mic_Pre_292.html#af000606#af000606

I've used the Focusrite Trakmaster Pro (same pre and di as Voicemaster) and I much prefer both the ISA One and PRE73.

I would personally avoid the ART Pro MPA II. I had an MPA Gold (with upgraded NOS Telefunken tubes) and this was the noisiest preamp I have owned!

Any of these preamps are capable of top notch results!

Occasionally I can envisage a situation where we would want to DI both guitarist and bass player at the same time, so the Ebony beiing a dual channel option wins on that count. Also there is already a dual Drawmer compressor so perhaps the extra functionality of the focusrite is not so necessarry.
I think you kind of answered your own question there... One unit has the features you need, the other has features you don't, and lacks features you need...

Not sure how much cash you have, but for value for money, I'd take a look/listen to the Sontronics Sonora. It's a dual mic pre & dula DI in one little box. Not sure if you can get rack ears for it though?

Trevor of Sontronics seems like a top bloke as well, so as this is for a youth club and Sontronics are a UK company, they may do you a discount. The full price is only about £350 anyway.

DAV gear is great value as well, as is Safe Sound Audio and also both UK companies! You would need to buy two P1 units from Safe Sound though and two BG9's (I think) from DAV though, which would be 2 or 3 times the price of the Sonora. The P1 would also give top quality compressor/limiter as well though.

The M-Audio DMP3 (or Tampa) and Studio projects VTB-1 also get a lot of love and are dead cheap.

Best of luck.

Hi

Just wanted to say a big thankyou to everyone for offering advice all of which was extremely useful. I have been so busy getting the final ordering done around other work that I havn't had a chance to get back to you yet.

In the end I got a Joe Meek Twin Q for a crazy deal (maybe not so crazy for those of you in the states) from the US, having shipped over. Even with the VAT and duties added when it arrives in the UK, still worked out way cheaper than buying over here. Got them to add an Audix DP5 mic set to the order. Again, cheap as chips!

So many bits of kit arriving in the next few weeks now including an esmono 4m by 2.8m isolation booth, Great drum kit, bass amp etc. Really hoping to get some of the gangstas around the estate into playing some intruments.

Anyway, again many thanks for the help.

I'm sur theyl be plenty more queries to come!

Smoulders

Ooh, forgot to ask.

I am aware that in the states your voltage setting is different to ours. I am guessing that the Joe meek uses a kettle lead (just a guess), but does anyone know if it is dual voltage so it can work over here in the UK or will I need to buy an adapter?

Last thing I want to do is blow it up as soon as it arrives!

Not sure about the voltage?

With regards to getting the Hip Hop heads to play some instruments, just use The Roots as inspiration. A REALLY great Hip Hop act, who play instruments.

Best of luck.

Ooh, forgot to ask.

I am aware that in the states your voltage setting is different to ours. I am guessing that the Joe meek uses a kettle lead (just a guess), but does anyone know if it is dual voltage so it can work over here in the UK or will I need to buy an adapter?

Last thing I want to do is blow it up as soon as it arrives!

Just check the manual then check it again and again go on line to check then when your confident, then plug it into the wall.

:cool:

Back