MIC Pre Help!

markclear

I'm looking for a new MIC Pre. Have the Apogee Duet and would use the converters and bypass it's pre.
Primarily looking for male vocals/acoustic guitar. I have a Mohave FET 201. I'm looking at the portico 5017
and UA Solo 610 or UA LA 610 MKII. People seem to love the 610. Concerned it may be too dark. Haven't seen alot of sample sounds
of the 5017. I like the lite compressor for transients. Ultimately I realize it's a personal choice. I'm just wonder if I spend
a $1000+ will there be any noticeable difference from the Duet pre?
Anyone use or hear the 5017? Does the silk do anything?

Thx.
Mark

I can't comment on the Duet's pres...I've never used them. But I'd guess getting the right $1000 pre should be an upgrade.

People really like the 610s, and I really like dark pres because I hate too much highs.

Just a suggestion, I'd looke at any of the Neve based pres. There are a ton to choose from and others can point you in the right direction. I've only used the GAP ($300) and the DIY Seventh Circle Audio N72 (you build it yourself and it's awesome). Neve pres are amazing on male vocals and acoustic guitar. It's my favorite for pretty much everything (I do like the API pres better on electrics and snare, but that's about it).

EDIT: whoops I didn't see you mention the 5017...that'd probably be perfect for you. Warm, smooth, great range of tones, very nice distortion when pushed (I'm just guessing based on other Neve pres).

I've really liked the JDK Audio stuff by API (I've got the stereo mic pre unit and two of the stereo compressors):

JDK Audio R 20 Two Channel Microphone Preamp

They are nice and clean - very little color from what I can tell. Granted, I stepped up from an M-Audio DMP-3 and the pre's built into the Presonus Firepod and then the Tascam 2488 neo... so perhaps pretty much anything would've been a step up :)

Replying to my own thread. I'm trying the UA Solo 610 right now. Compared to the pre in my Apogee Duet,
this has got more body. Seems fuller. Very nice. The Neve 5017 is arriving next week so I'll make my comparisons.
The only issue(s) so far with the Solo. I'm not getting enough level. I've got to crank it to 8 and turn my
headphone mix up high which can result in headphone beed.

Back