Mic-Pre gain for sm7b using EMU 1820m

ahuimanu

Hello,

I have a new sm7b microphone for vocals (decided that it would be better for a "home" DAW-based studio than a cheapie condenser).

I am concerned that the TFPPro mic-pres on the 1820m won't have enough gain?

Here are the gain specs on the Pres built-in to the 1820m:

"Microphone Preamplifier:
- Input Impedance: 330ohms
- Max Level: -12dBV (-9.8dBu)
- Gain Range: +10 to +50dB
- Phantom Power: 48V "

Since I see that the SM7b is rated at -59dB, I wonder if I'm falling short?

I have an older Presonus BlueTube, but it's gain is rated at +0dB to +40dB. This is actually the same range that exists on the 1820m, but the 1820m starts at +10.

I know it depends on the source, but I got this to be an "all around" mic to complement my 57.

It sounds pretty good so far, but I wonder if I'll be losing out once vocals have to sit astride other instruments?

Thanks...

Hello,

I have a new sm7b microphone for vocals (decided that it would be better for a "home" DAW-based studio than a cheapie condenser).

Good call, you will like the SM7b for tons of stuff.

I am guessing you haven't had a chance to try it with the built in pre's yet?
I am presonally not a bit fan of buying an interface for the pre's built in. Some are great (and the 1820 will probabaly be very nice from the reputation), but (IMHO) the bottom line is that-- budget aside-- the interface is about the converters, and the inputs and outputs you need. If you need 8 or more inputs at a time, you are going to be looking for the best converters for 8 inputs. Once you get that, you can then use built in pres for convienince, but you are looking outboard for the *best* quality.

Now if budget becomes largely limiting, and buying outboard pre's is not an option, then you are in a different place, but the gear you have choosen so far is pretty high on quality, so it makes me think that you are commited to a great signal path.

So.... here is the conclusion, you are looking at 18 inputs, so limiting yourself to the built in pres doesn't even make sense, you will need to buy more pre's via a board or dedicated pre's to utilize all the intputs. If you don't plan on using all those inputs at a time, then you can probably get a more cost effective system with great converters and use that money to buy more gear. If you do want to use the full functionality, plean on buying some more pre's and pick up somehting with a bit more gain to run the SM7.

In the meantime, it can't hurt to actually try out the built in pre's first, you might be fine there for all you know.

Daav

I have used my SM7 with the built in pres of the 1820M lots of times. Just do it and quit worrying about it. If you don't like what you get, then deal with it.

It sounds pretty good so far, but I wonder if I'll be losing out once vocals have to sit astride other instruments?...
Is this the part that has you confused?
Once the track is recorded this isn't relevant. Tracks can be placed anywhere in a mix relative to each other.
?

Back