Mic pre for ribbon mic

pointfive

Hey all. I've tried to do some research on this before posting this question here, but so far haven't been able to find a clear answer.

I'm considering buying a ribbon mic soon, probably a ShinyBox 46 (or maybe a Nady RSM-2). What I understand about ribbon mics (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that they're low-output as compared to condensers. Does this mean they need a "stronger" (I don't know if that's the right word) mic preamp?

Right now I'm using a Mackie 1402 VLZ (not pro). I just use the mic pres built into the board and I'm happy with them. Will they be adequate to power a ribbon mic, or would I have to get an outboard mic pre to use a ribbon?

Many thanks in advance.

The one thing you DO NOT want to do to a ribbon mic --- which I'm sure will be clearly laid out in the documentation with whichever one you decide to buy --- is apply phantom power to it.

A single application of 48v phantom power can damage the ribbon severly.

If you have no other microphones that require phantom power --- in other words, other ribbon mics or dynamic mics --- then you could use the 1402vlz and it's mic pres.

For maximum flexibility and safety though IMHO you would be best dedicating a single mic pre to your ribbon mic.

Thank you both. I was mixing my terms; sorry about that. I understand that ribbon mics don't require phantom power, and from what you're saying I now understand that the mic pres on my 1402 should be high-gain enough to be able to boost the signal of a ribbon mic to a useable level.

I'll try to take your advice and purchase a dedicated mic pre; it'll depend on pricing though.

Again, thanks a ton.

Cyanide-Depende said:
stay away form cheap crap like nady, andlisten to the suggestions above :)

Um.... You do realize that the Nady RSM-2 and Shinybox 46 are from the same line of mics by the same manufacturer, right?

As for the pre, unless I did the math wrong, the RSM-2 has output comparable to an SM58. That certainly seems about right from my experience. I'd expect the ShinyBox and other ribbons in the same family to behave similarly. You'll want a pre that isn't noisy, as it does take a fair bit of gain, but if you don't hear a lot of noise with other dynamics, you're probably fine....

dgatwood said:
Um.... You do realize that the Nady RSM-2 and Shinybox 46 are from the same line of mics by the same manufacturer, right?

As for the pre, unless I did the math wrong, the RSM-2 has output comparable to an SM58. That certainly seems about right from my experience. I'd expect the ShinyBox and other ribbons in the same family to behave similarly. You'll want a pre that isn't noisy, as it does take a fair bit of gain, but if you don't hear a lot of noise with other dynamics, you're probably fine....
I guess that's ok if he's micing instruments in close proximity, but what if he wants to use it as an overhead? I would stick a 58 above my kit only as a last resort. Ribbons however are a nice alternative to condensers and can add a different flavor. They do require more gain as an overhead, thus my suggestion for the am-10, however noisy it may be.

Back