Mic Pre for everything

synth73

whats a great all around mic pre that i can use to track my synths, vocals thru a processor or direct, guitar amps, etc etc...budget isnt an issue. I can afford a Manley if need be, but i dont think i really need it so I havent pulled the trigger on anything insanely expersive. Im recording into a digi002. My only mic's are a baby bottle, sm57 and an E609.

I'm a big Summit Audio fan and have a few of their products. Based on my other experience with the company I would look at their 1/2 rack stuff, the 2BA-221 for instance. I like a tube compressor after my pre and one of the TLA-50's would probably do it. I have the bigger version compressor and have used their TPA-200B pre.

The Summit sounds expensive, and when you phone them Mike (the owner) answers the phone. No repairs on mine in 20 years except for light bulbs Mike sent for free.

I like Avalon AD2022, but what the hell? The one thing I'm sure of is that if you are going to get a badass pre for all around use, get one that's pretty clean, and that has 2 channels. Two matching channels is invaluable for stereo recording, and eventually, you'll go for a matched pair of mics, or another one of the ones you already have. The Baby Bottle in particular, gets along rather well with the Avalon.-Richie

I like the FMR RNP on the budget side

If you can solder, check the SCA site for a number of super affordable options

Personal fav is Great River

"Greatest preamp ever?" Crane Song Flamingo. You'll never want for another preamp (because you can pretty much make it sound like every other preamp).

But yeah - Budget-friendly, no-nonsense -- Hard to beat the RNP.

I am pretty happy with my RNP but I don't have as much experience with different PREs as most of the guys here. If I had to venture one complaint it's that the gain is stepped. Their customer service is good though.

If I had to get rid of what I have except for one unit, it'd probably be the Great River MP-2NV. Actually, the only thing I'd change about it is for the output level to be stepped -- the input gain is stepped. I think I could use it for everything, but might be challenged to get an uncolored sound for a very quiet source. For louder sources, if I want uncolored, I just turn down the input gain all the way or almost all the way, and it's OK for me. And of course, if you want color (with the particular character and inside the range of possibilities of the device, of course, which is substantial and satisfactory for most folks), this one's got it when you turn up the gain and mess with the transformer load setting.

Last edited:
for all around I'd have to go with API 3124 (there are various options and prices)

while similar (though different) the DAV BG-1 @ 2 channels is also a reasonable bet

there are specific pre's that for specific rooms, mics, material, performers I like better but for something that once in the studio not only will they last but you are happy they do either of the above are reasonable choices

Back