mic pre/channel strip?

djessence

ok, i'm on a pro tools system using the 001, whats the best way to record vocals? now, i use the 001's mic pre, but am looking into other options. the main question i have is, is it smart to use something like a focusrite as a mic pre and compressor/limiter, because i worry about recording the vocals wrong, and then not being able to fix it. where as with just a mic pre, i can record the vocals dry, and then be able to compress/limit, use a de-esser and so on. is there any advantage to running vocals through compressor and the likes before recording?

also, whats some good suggestions for under a $1000 for a mic pre, or channel strip?

the digi 001 mic pres are enough to get by...I don't prefer them. with the budget you have, you've got a lot of choices.

With regards to the focusrite mic pre compressor, and not wanting to mess up your settings and be stuck with them, it's a valid concern. I have a joe meek vc6q (built in compressor and EQ) I was worried about it at first but then I just said "f**k it" I started trying to just slightly compress it so it wouldn't clip. If you know the meek it's addicting and you end up cranking the compression, but sounds great.

If you're worried about it, most of them allow you to just utilize the mic pre, bypassing the compressor. Maybe you can try that until you learn how to set it right.

As far as what to purchase: I wouldn't really know. I have a vtp1 on my wish list, but thats only like 199? I know a lot of people seem to like the presonus mp20, that gives you 2 channels for 499. There's the grace 101 which I've heard a lot of people talk about as well and thats 599 one channel. It seems there's a big jump in price between $600 up to like $2000.

Now is the part where someone steps in and says "I know exactly what you should buy"

Anyway good luck!

djessence,

As far as using compression or not while tracking, everyone has their opinion. While tracking to digital, I notice a lot of engineers tend to prefer to using some type of compression or limiting to a certain extent. If that's any type of "agreement" there, I myself agree.

Now, if you're going to be limited to 1 or 2 compressors while tracking, I'd recommend something of the "neutral" and "transparent" type; especially if you're tracking into a DAW and have a few decent compressor/limiter plug-ins.

So...

First you have to give yourself a price range; which you did: $1000.

OK, now, you have to decide if that $1000 is going to get you both a preamp and compressor or just a preamp. I know that's a hard decision to make if you've never worked with a compressor while tracking... But since you asked for help with that opinion, I gave you mine above...

Then you have to decide if that $1000 is going to get you 1 channel of a preamp and compressor or simply a preamp, or if it's going to get you 2 channels of preamps and compressors or simply preamps. OR, if it's going to get you 4 preamps and 1 or 2 channels of compression or 8 preamps and 1 or channels of compression.

Another words, I'm trying to get you to think of how many channels you want/need. And what's more important to you? More channels of "OK/decent", "minimalist quality" or 1 or 2 channels of quite a significant quality jump from that "OK/decent", "minimalist quality"?

I myself would consider your 001 pres the "OK/decent", "minimalist quality" range.

There is no right or wrong answer, it's just you have to answer those types of question for yourself; thinking of your particular applications, situations, and budget.

Then, once you've decided, let us know here and we'll throw-out a few different options based on your decisions that only you can answer.

I look forward to listing a few options...

ok, as far as i know, i only need one channel. also, i've used a compressor for pre-recording before, but i've found that too often it was risky just in case of getting unwanted effects, such as pumping. the main reason i want a good pre-amp is the so called "warmness" it adds. but, the compressor i was using was a very low budget behringer autocom pro. would it be smart to just use it as a limiter? thanks, for the help, i think that's all the info i can reply to at this time.

djessence

Well, hopefully I will not get hammered on this because I do distribute this line, but then again it is a great unit and sounds like what you're after.

There are two units you can look at. The VC1QCS, by Joemeek. It is a single "mono" channel strip. It has mic pre, optical compressor(the kind that does not pump), eq, enhancer, de-esser, and an optional card slot for a digital output card at 24/96.

The other is the VCTwinQ. This is a dual unit(two channel) that the compressor links for stereo. You loose the enhancer/de-essor, and the eq is a 3 band fixed where the VC1Q is a 3 band with mid sweep. You still get the digital option slot.

Both are 2U size with large Vu meters. They both have the latest "CS" (Current Sense) mic pre technology that automatically sets the correct impedance load for any mic you use.

You can get the VC1QCS in the stores for about $600.00, and the VCTwinQCS for about $800.00. The digital output card retails for $199.99. The Joemeek units are very warm and have a flavor that many people like. If you are looking for something with no sound or warmth, go for the PreSonus. PreSonus makes good gear as does Joemeek, but they are totally different.

Remember, most VCA compressors pump and breath, but photo-optical units do not. In addition, VCA units do not allow any mid or high frequencies to get above the threshold which is why they sound dull and muted. The photo-optical device lets the mid and high frequency transients come through.

I hope this helps you.

Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group

Back