Mic pre-amps bass drum & snare

Funky_A

Hello,

I use a very mic pre-amp now, I don't even know the brand, but it actually sounds pretty decend. Tho!! You can hear lot's of difference still.
Only thing I want now is to have better sounds on my bass drum & snare drum.
I want it to be more alive.
Especially the kick drum needs to have more punch & power.

The equipment I use:
Pearl MMX Bass drum 20x18 = Sennheiser MD421
OCDP 12x7 snare drum = Shure SM57.

These are actually the best 2 mics I own, but the pre-amps they go to can't get a good sound out of them, or atleast I a sound I really like.

The money I can spend is somewhere around €200-250 ($250-300).

So I need 2 good Mic pre-amps for those mics to bring those 2 to live.
The toms & overhead don't sound bad or anything but still you can hear a bit of lack in the mic pre-s.

I myself was thinking of a Presonus Bluetube DP, since I can get a new one for €175.

Thank you,
Geert Klaucke

PhilGood said:
Try skydiving. That made me feel more alive.

Haha...I just asked the bass drum...he doesn't really fancy skydiving. He just wants some better mic pre-amps and I gotta do what he tells me.
I almost got him to bungee jump, but he doesn't want to take the risk, he's got bad insurance.

This might be a better question for the microphone forum. Do a search before posting, as some of the more experienced posters expect it before blindly asking questions. I have a Ramsa board with stock preamps that I use for drums and they sound pretty good. I also have a Symetrix sx202 dual preamp that I was about to try on kick and snare. I'll let you know how it sounds. They don't make it any more, but the newer sx302 might work for you. Although I've heard it's not quite as good.

Another reviewer on the mic forum really likes the M-Audio DMP3. I'm thinking of getting that as well.

Back